Complexity/simplicity

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Complexity/simplicity

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Sep 2016, 12:08

In another section
Warrigal wrote:All that plus a willingness to think about it.

I have a scientific background and I see much beauty in mathematics and chemistry but what speaks to me most deeply are the wonders and beauty of the planet, the astonishing phenomenon that is life and living organisms and the marvellous creativity of humankind.

I cannot observe these things in a matter of fact way anymore. I see all of it as gift, not happenstance, and I am grateful for the gift. That is a response of the heart/spirit, not the mind.

Then I also observe the other side of the coin - the dangers, death and dying, grief and suffering and I know that there are no simple answers to life on this planet, but still I am grateful. What is it that allows humans to hope and to endure? Is it intellect, or love? Another good question. Now we are in the realm of philosophy. There is always something to muse upon.

Don't mind me. I've been in a philosophical mood all day.
Warrigal, I heartily concur, but particularly the bit about putting aside organised religion. It does its best, has been the saving of many people, along with the damage it did. We are just so ignorant of what is the truth, or even if the truth is subjective. I cannot understand people who think they know all that is to be known.

Both art and science have taken on board a whole heap of things we've found first in nature, and because we can engineer this or that, we have lost the wonder of its origin. I recently was pointed to some newly found sub-microscopic thing, I forget what, that showed exquisite engineering.

These wonders of nature have nothing to do with the concept of good and evil, yet we do take that from nature too. Animals more and more show what we once would term anthropomorphism - they are not copying us nor we them, it is natural.

When you see the cause of something, that isn't the final answer. That cause also has it's own cause.
The complexity continues, and though it is good for some to have a simplistic faith in belief (religious or atheistic) or non-belief (cynicism or again atheism, depending :lol: ) for others not so good, I think.
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Complexity/simplicity

Post by grandduke » 22 Sep 2016, 13:15

Nicely put oh weaver of dreams but behold all is Karma (cause and effect) keep thee well
oh great one. :bear_hug
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 22 Sep 2016, 15:36

So, I'm not the only one in a philosophical mood. :thinking:
Pauline Hanson Demands A Panda Cull Following News Of A Pandemic - The UnAustralian

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 22 Sep 2016, 16:10

Love it don’t you Warrigal, by the way how is your husband coming along. :happy-sunshine:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Jan 2020, 09:43

RN audio program, "God Forbid". Lots of episodes, subjects on science plus/versus religion.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... id/8481160
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Mar 2020, 21:29

Is religion an invention of man used for sinister purposes? A form of brainwashing? Is there some truth within religion? Is that why it resonates with so many? Is religion different today from what it was many years ago?
In the video, Spong affirms that “religion is always in the control business, and that’s something people don’t really understand. It’s in the guilt producing control business.”

https://www.collective-evolution.com/20 ... -business/
I dream, therefore I am.