Human limit?

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Human limit?

Post by Dreamweaver »

Edward Bellamy purports to look back from the year 2000.

At one point a hostess asks if he would like to hear some music. Instead of playing the piano, she merely touched one or two screws and “immediately the room was filled with the music of a grand organ”, one of four she could dial up by landline.

It appeared to him that

if we could have devised an arrangement for providing everybody with music in their homes, perfect in quality, unlimited in quantity, suited to every mood, and beginning and ceasing at will, we should have considered the limit of human felicity already attained, and ceased to strive for further improvements.

Comment?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Human limit?

Post by Perrorist »

Written in 2000?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

The problem with GDP is that it's focused on the price value of goods and services. What's not taken into account is the desirability or necessity of them For example, we have a natural disaster. Costs are incurred recovering from the event. Roads need repairing, household goods need replacing, livestock replenished, and so on. These are counted towards GDP, but they don't mean we're better off; if they did, we would welcome fire, floods, etc, which is ridiculous.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Exactly. But what aroused my curiosity was the example of thinking the peak of desirability might once have been, in his words -
if we could have devised an arrangement for providing everybody with music in their homes, perfect in quality, unlimited in quantity, suited to every mood, and beginning and ceasing at will, we should have considered the limit of human felicity already attained, and ceased to strive for further improvements.
What might we now think is the ultimate, and if attained, how quickly might we then dismiss it?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

But mainly because we share it with everyone else. Supposing it was just you who had this benefit, would you attach such significance to it were you to lose it?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

:thinking:
I dream, therefore I am.