Old age is a gift

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Old age is a gift

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Oct 2017, 21:26

For almost 80 years, Margaret Berry, BA ’37, Life Member, Distinguished Alumna, has been a stalwart supporter of UT. Once named “Austin’s Most Worthy Citizen,” Berry’s achievements at the university are paramount. She founded the university’s first telephone counseling service; wrote numerous history books about campus; and returned to teaching at age 80, when the Provost’s Office asked Berry to lead a Freshman Seminar, which she gladly did for the next eight years.

On the occasion of her impending 100th birthday on August 8, Berry wrote this essay, which serves as a reflection on her long, storied life, and a celebration of the comfort and wisdom it has afforded her as she rounds out her (first) century on Earth. —Chris O’Connell

Click play for Berry’s narration:
https://alcalde.texasexes.org/2015/07/o ... is-a-gift/
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Old age is a gift

Post by Perrorist » 16 Oct 2017, 06:22

Quite right.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 09 Nov 2017, 19:13

What a wonderful attitude this Lady has.
Good to hear someone say these things, because it makes you feel better. Too often we feel LESS because we are OLD. BUT, we have had more experience than the young, and understand things better than a young person just starting out.
We learn to trust our instincts where others are concerned, and to dodge those who give us a bad feeling.
I have reached a state now, where I don't think about dying, but just living from day to day.
Old age has it's disadvantages in that the body doesn't allow you to do the things you most loved to do. Such as Tennis! I loved tennis. Singing is another. I felt that a piece of me was cut out when my voice refused to deliver the high notes that I used to sing and enjoy.
However there are other things that one can do to fill in the time. That's where the Forum is great. It allows you to keep in touch with other people who are in the same age bracket, and have the same problems.
I would really miss the Silver Peers, if I couldn't get access to it. 2 weeks off the air, thanks to the NBN failure, was a bad experience for me.
:happy-sunshine:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Nov 2017, 20:36

=D=

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 09 Nov 2017, 23:57

Two great posts from DW and Trishia.
Thanks very much, because without members like the bunch we have now, we would all be starring at the ceiling not knowing what to do!
Age creeps up fast and the grey matter dies..........use it or lose it!

:happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 10 Aug 2018, 15:03

And the Sun comes up every morning and sets again in the evening
and so it is with life and I'm enjoying mine tallyho folks yehaa :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 11 Aug 2018, 07:44

So glad to hear it Dukey. It's been a long time between drinks eh.