If only I could have had...

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

If only I could have had...

Post by Perrorist » 02 Jan 2018, 18:30

If you were able to live your life again and were allowed a special talent, what would it be?

Mine would be to have a voice like Luciano Pavarotti, or indeed any of the great tenors. Failing that, to have the talent of an Ashkenazy, say, and play the piano brilliantly. Ever since I was old enough to understand how rare and difficult it is to nurture such talent, that's what I've wished I'd had.

What would yours be, no matter how modest?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: If only I could have had...

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jan 2018, 00:02

I would have liked self confidence. Without that, any talent goes under a bushel! But I think even with that I wouldn't have had the dedication to develop one field. Jack of all trades, master of none! Neither would I wish for that dedication, knowing the cost of missing so much.
I dream, therefore I am.

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 03 Jan 2018, 00:47

Always wanted to play the piano so that probably would be my choice. As a youngster we lived with my grandparents in a small house and there wasn't any room for a piano. My friend used to have a piano and was made to got for lessons, she hated every minute of it and I sometimes wished we could swap places. Once she got old enough to say no to the lessons she never went near a piano again.

Second choice would be the ability to learn languages easily.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2018, 06:28

Yes, languages. I've always loved French and still read it with occasional (sometimes more than occasional) recourse to the dictionary. After two years in Sweden I felt I was getting somewhere with Swedish, but that has faded now. As for Finnish... So a facility with foreign language learning would be high on my list, too.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 03 Jan 2018, 08:37

I have a 4 1/2 year old grandson living in Belgium and he is fluent in English....French...and...Dutch.............he can switch from one language to another without thinking about it.

This last October when I was staying in Belgium with the family, my grandson bought me a book to read to him, it was in French, I explained I couldn't read it and he said.....just try Grandma...so I tried, he raised his eyes and said.... hang on...put the French book back and bought me a book in English that I could read to him. :lol: :lol:
A rose by any other name...............

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2018, 10:11

Young children pick up languages so quickly, because they have no barriers, such as self-consciousness and fear of making mistakes.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 06 Jan 2018, 01:11

I agree with Pamela and the piano if only.................. I was 12 again.
Mum wanted me to learn the piano and paid for my weekly lessons, which I skipped after the first two lessons.
At 12 one has other priorities that don't involve sitting in a stuffy old house at a monstrous keyboard. Doesn't one?

Well, I very much regret not having learned to play music.
Perhaps my neighbours may enjoy it if I start learning the drums now?

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.