Uk friends might help

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Uk friends might help

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Apr 2018, 20:19

Cant work out how it is spelt
Can anyone tell me exactly what is the sauce that English people have with pies? Chips etc

Its pronounced licker or liquor? What is it? I think its unique to UK

Biggdad
Gold Member

Re: Uk friends might help

Post by Biggdad » 15 Apr 2018, 20:46

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 16 Apr 2018, 11:26

Mr Google will serve thee well sir/madam Mavis, then back up
with Wikipedia (done) no please do not thank me. :icon-mrgreen: :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 16 Apr 2018, 14:29

It's gravy innit!

Why anyone would make a sauce with chicken stock and a lot of parsley and then serve it with a perfectly good steak and kidney pie beats me. Just shows you if you call something by a posh name some people will eat anything.
:icon-mrgreen: :icon-mrgreen:

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 16 Apr 2018, 15:18

No Lynny, a decent gravy and the parsley liquor are different......why anyone would want to dish up meat pie with jellied eels beats me, also a suet pastry and ordinary pastry together Why???....I have also seen a recipe that calls for both jellied eels and oysters served with the meat pie............... but then this is a Cockney dish and I ain't no Cockney. :heeheehee
A rose by any other name...............

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 16 Apr 2018, 16:09

My late husband was a born and bred Cockney and whenever we went back down to the London area to visit his family he would always seek out a pie and mash shop - pie always being served with parsley liquor, never gravy. "It's thought that the first pie and mash shop was opened about 1850"... Here's a link to the history of pie, mash and liquor. https://londonist.com/2015/03/london-fo ... mash-shops

Liquor being served with pies is confined to one area of England, you wouldn't find it it other parts. Elsewhere pies would usually be served with gravy... up here it's meat and potato pie, mushy peas and gravy.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Apr 2018, 19:46

Thanks so much folks.
Yes I know one can google but I rather enjoy chatting to the community. I also found out much more here than google land.
I suppose we can use google for everything and stuff the forums. I like asking questions in forums. Any way back to pies.
Any way I guess liquor is no stranger than gravy. I never tried liquor so maybe its ok but jellied eels never appealed to me. Nor did pickled eggs.
BUT English pork pies with bramston pickle. ...now youre talking. The pork pies in England are heaven. Here in Australia they are revolting.
The secret is the wonderfully crisp pastry. Here its a soggy bland mess.
Pamela that link was wonderfully interesting.
Of course we can hardly be too critical of the English and their love of liqour with pies. We serve pies in a dish called a floater. Pies in pea soup.

Question...is the jellied eel served as a side dish with the pie?

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 16 Apr 2018, 20:22

I think originally the eels were in pies and in later years this changed to other fillings. I don't think eels are quite as popular but I couldn't say for sure. I have never ever tried them (not for me thank you very much!) nor have I ever been in a pie and mash cafe or tasted eel/parsley liquor. My sister in law and myself used to leave our husbands in the pie and mash place while we went and had steak and chips elsewhere. :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Apr 2018, 20:59

I've never heard of parsley liquor. Is it a Southern England thing?

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 16 Apr 2018, 21:54

I would say around London and surrounding areas. I'd never heard of it until I married my Londonder husband and he used to say how he missed his pie and mash and liquor. Also, as Betty has pointed out there's two different types of pastry used in the making of these pies which I also find strange.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Apr 2018, 17:40

Pamela have you tried the English pork pies? I love them .They are always eaten cold. Australians make the mistake sometimes of heating them.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 18 Apr 2018, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Apr 2018, 17:55

I buy pork pies regularly, though they're not as good as the English ones, especially the ones from Pork Farms in Melton Mowbray. When I travel to England, that's my first buy. I eat them with pickled red cabbage. The pickled red cabbage you buy here is imported from Poland, and isn't a patch on the English stuff.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 17 Apr 2018, 20:54

The Melton Mowbray pork pies are the best. :icon_biggrin:

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 17 Apr 2018, 20:56

Perrorist wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 20:59
I've never heard of parsley liquor. Is it a Southern England thing?
No not completely, it is mainly an East Enders/Cockney (London)thing...........I live in the South East and it is not known here.

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 17 Apr 2018, 21:28

mavisbramston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:40
Pamela have you tried the English pork pies? I love them .They are always eaten cold. Australians make the mstakesometimes of heating the,.
Been a long time since I've eaten pork pie but I used to enjoy a small piece now and then and definitely not heated.