Memorable meals

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Memorable meals

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Apr 2018, 22:32

We spoke before about UK cuisine, its a cuisine I have long believed under rated.
One of the most memorable meals I ever had was at a place in Yorkshire called Whitby. Whitby is a charming sea type village.
Its lovely .
I had fish and chips in a sea food restaurant. The fish was cooked in a crisp golden batter and genuinely crunchy chips. However the highlight was a stunning sea side vegetable called sanphire, I think thats how you spell it. Let me tell you this vegie is glorious. Tried to get it here without any luck.

Love to know some of your memorable meals.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Memorable meals

Post by Perrorist » 24 Apr 2018, 05:54

I've never tried it, but here's a recipe: https://www.bbc.com/food/samphire

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Apr 2018, 09:17

Ah thats how its pronounced. Thankyou Perrorist.
I have really tried to get it here but no luck. Not even sure if it grows here.
Its beautiful.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Apr 2018, 10:43

Australian Samphire
http://www.anbg.gov.au/photo/vegetation ... -forb.html
Samphire is a native succulent also referred to as sea asparagus, swamp grass, salicorne, glasswort, pickleweed and sea beans. Woody at the base and with many branches it grows freely on many of Southern Australia’s salty flats.

Samphire is considered best for use in summer (in season October to March) when the fleshy leaves are bright green and aromatic. In Winter the leaves turn a reddish/ pink but there is still some green to be found at the base of the plants. Blanching winter samphire before cooking gives a lovely, salty taste of the sea.

Crunchy in texture, it gives a salty fresh burst of flavour which is reminiscent of asparagus. Fine young shoots that are bright green are the best to use raw, cooking can be a quick blanch, or sauté and toss with macadamia or olive oil, garlic and onion.

Pairs well with our abundant seafood and is wonderful in salads, pesto and salsa verde or as a garnish. To reduce saltiness you can blanch for 30 – 45 seconds or soak for 1-2 hours, before plunging in ice water.

High in Vitamin A and a good source of calcium and iron.

Samphire is planted as native vegetation so protection and regulation varies between States, so enquire before foraging as there can be heavy fines and as a waterway plant there can be toxicity risks in some places.
http://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/samphire/

Ebay has a selection of plants, also seeds
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Apr 2018, 17:24

Wow. Thank you so much. I had no idea. Its a glorious vegie. Anyone here tried it?

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Apr 2018, 19:53

Hot dogs are always popularin the USA .
What is fascinating is they are different state to state.
The one I love is the CHICAGO DOG.
Now I better declare I love Chicago. Its the cleanest city in the world in my opinion and I love it. They say it gets windy but I have been there a few times and its been fine.
The frankfurt is either grilled or boiled. They steam the buns. What we call hot dog rolls.
The franfurt is placed in the roll or bun.
Now the fun starts.
Chopped onion, jalapeno chillis, American mustard, relish. Rather like gherkin. NEVER KETCHAP ..They then add CELERY SEEDS AND OR SALT
A pickle.

Thats it and eat while watching baseball or football.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 26 Apr 2018, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 25 Apr 2018, 16:56

I may have eaten samphire at a local hotel. It certainly fits the description in Dreamweaver's post. We asked the waitress,what it was,but she just described it as some sort of seaweed.
I will have to go back and ask the chef,eh.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Apr 2018, 22:28

Another meal I loved was in Amersterdam. No far from fine dining but I love fresh salted new herring. You dip the herring in chopped onion, hold it by the tail and put your head back and enjoy. Not for everyone but I love it. Packet salted herring here is pretty sad. The Dutch herring is yummy. Best eaten outside on a chilly Dutch day with good friends and of course a beer.
I have long arguments about the use of the word raw. Its not cooked but not exactly raw. Its salted.