Faux Foie Gras

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Faux Foie Gras

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Apr 2018, 23:39

If you want to be adventursy
10K Faux Gras

10 oz. dry chickpeas, or use canned
2 sticks butter (room temperature)
2 oz. finely sliced crimini mushrooms, or use canned
1 oz. Marsala wine
2 tsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1.5 oz. finely diced shallots
4 cloves garlic, crushed in a press or finely diced
2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper
1/2 cup cream
1/4 oz. very finely diced beet

• Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours. Boil until tender (approximately 1 hour) and drain
completely. Set aside to cool. (or just use canned)
• Melt 1 tablespoonful of the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the
mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, or until soft. Add the wine and parsley and reduce by half
(approximately 30 seconds). Remove from the pan and reserve.
• Wipe the pan and return to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoonfuls of butter, and let it
melt and start to foam. Reduce heat to low and add the shallots. Sauté until soft and translucent
within 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté over low heat for 1 minute, but
do not brown the garlic.
• Stir in the cream . Bring to a low simmer and cover for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the
remaining butter and let it melt completely, then add the reserved mushroom mixture. Cover
and remove from the heat.
• Place the diced beets in a small pan with 2 tablespoonfuls of water over medium heat. Allow
to steam until the water is almost completely gone, then remove from the heat completely.
• In a food processor, combine the chickpeas and the mushroom-shallot-cream mixture.
Process until mostly smooth. Add in the beets and continue to process until the mousse has
taken on a smooth but slightly grainy texture and the beets have infused it with a light pink
color.
• Pour the mousse into a small bowl or ramekin lined with enough plastic wrap to be folded
and sealed over the top. Form the bundle into whatever shape is desired (e.g., a "lobe"). Chill
for at least 3 hours. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled on toast points or slices of
hard, crusty bread, such as a baguette. Leftovers can be rechilled and will keep, sealed, for a
week to a week and a half.

And this is why this recipe is "faux"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOu-GVtgPQ
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Faux Foie Gras

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Apr 2018, 23:40

I dream, therefore I am.