Home schooling

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Betty
Bronze Member

Re: Home schooling

Post by Betty » 24 Jun 2018, 15:09

mavisbramston wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 09:10
Slightlyoff topic.

Loved that post Betty. I read it three times .A silver peers gem! :happy-sunshine:
When I taught I often found the potential of kids with autism was under estimated. Autism is a huge issue and there is no such thing as a typically autistic kid.
One kid I taught was highly intelligent yet some fail to see how an autistic child can be intelligent!

May I say agree or disagree thank you for the intelligent debate from each side.
Thankyou Mavis, apologies for going off topic.

There are many well known people that are now thought to have been autistic...Einstein and Mozart just for starters plus several more.
A rose by any other name...............

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 24 Jun 2018, 15:12

Perrorist wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:23
I've also had the pleasure of our autistic grandchildren doing well in a normal school environment. It's important that the school has teachers trained to deal with special needs children.

Exactly Perry, depending on the scale of the autistic spectrum a child is, there is no reason why an autistic child shouldn't go to a mainstream school.
A rose by any other name...............

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Jun 2018, 20:29

Integration not alienation.
Autistic children although sometimes a challenging are wonderful human beings. I taughttourette kids too and that was a dhallenge.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 25 Jun 2018, 01:22

Maybe I am just getting old, but most teenagers seem to have Tourette's syndrome these days..... \:D/

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 25 Jun 2018, 08:52

Please note that I stated Home Schooling may be(I repeat may be!)I was not stating as a fact re Autism. The child whom I had in mind when I posted, is a highly intelligent child, who did not cope well with different types of schools, including mainstream, the advice of the child's GP,was referred to a Psychologist who has a child with Autism. The latest news, when the grandparents visited yesterday, the child is being Home Schooled with a Tutor!

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 25 Jun 2018, 10:10

Hi teddy you made a good point though ..look at the great discussion you atarted.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 25 Jun 2018, 11:34

It is interesting to note that in our society, we often come across individuals with some illness or disability and we tend to automatically think that they are also mentally disabled - which is unfortunate. Some years ago, I was working in inner city Sydney and used to frequent a hotel for lunch. I often noticed another patron with cerebral palsy there......the poor guy had little control over his movements and spilled lots of his beer getting the glass to his mouth. I started talking to him in very simplistic language, thinking that his mental capacity was also impaired. I was quite surprised to learn that he had a bachelor of arts degree in criminology and was actually working in the Police dept.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Jul 2018, 09:43

Kfhugo it is rather like people. raising their voices to speak to blind. people

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 01 Jul 2018, 17:47

You mean I have been shouting at them for nothing all these years? \:D/