Did your mother...

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Slapsy

Re: Did your mother...

Post by Slapsy » 29 Jan 2019, 17:18

My Mum used castor oil as a punishment. The worst part of the whole process,was the grip on our nose,to make our mouth open. The only good thing about it was that it hardly touched my mouth,so the taste did not linger too long.
My Mum actually tried to convince us that it was tasteless. :teary
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Leonie

Post by Leonie » 30 Jan 2019, 17:04

We used to call the mangle a wringer but it should have been called a mangle. My mum had an electric one and she did herself a pretty serious injury when it mangled her hand.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 30 Jan 2019, 18:30

Ouch!

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 30 Jan 2019, 19:28

Leonie wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 17:04
We used to call the mangle a wringer but it should have been called a mangle. My mum had an electric one and she did herself a pretty serious injury when it mangled her hand.
This reminded me of when I was a child, our next door neighbour's grandaughter used to help her grandmother mangle the washing by turning the handle and one day the old lady caught her boobs in between the wringers. :surprised:
A rose by any other name...............

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 Jan 2019, 20:45

Wikipedia says "A mangle or wringer is a mechanical laundry aid consisting of two rollers in a sturdy frame, connected by cogs and, in its home version, powered by a hand crank or electricity. While the appliance was originally used to wring water from wet laundry, today mangles are used to press or flatten sheets, tablecloths, kitchen towels, or clothing and other laundry."

More than seventy years ago my mother told me that the difference between a mangle and a wringer was that the wringer was to wring water from wet clothes. A mangle was to flatten or press dried washing for storing; large items were neatly folded to be pressed by the mangle.

Did she mislead me all those years ago?
8-[
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 31 Jan 2019, 09:20

I always understood that a mangle is a big contraption that stood on it's own and was used for squeezing the water out of the wet washing, usually in the outhouse. My mom had a smallish wringer which she attached to the stone sink in the kitchen and did the same with washing straight from the copper or from being rinsed in the sink. There was a lot of splashing about......I remember that.

Later on she had a small washing machine which had a wringer attached on the top.

I've never heard of the 'flattening dry laundry' thing though DW. :icon_biggrin:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 31 Jan 2019, 10:53

lynny wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 09:20
I've never heard of the 'flattening dry laundry' thing though DW. :icon_biggrin:
Me, neither.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 31 Jan 2019, 21:44

My Mum might not have had all of it wrong. Wikipedia agrees that "today mangles are used to press or flatten sheets, tablecloths, kitchen towels, or clothing and other laundry." I understood they were free-standing, and pretty big to flatten sheets, even if those were folded.
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 31 Jan 2019, 22:36

mavisbramston wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 20:39
Love to know some memories of our wonderful mums.
Did your mother ever give you caster oil. There was another awful medicine called waterburys compound
Yep. Had both of those. Mum mixed the castor oil with orange juice which only made it worse.
She also applied Bates salve to festered splinters and boils. It was in the form of a stick that was held over a flame and it melted onto a dressing that was then applied to the fester. It worked.

There was something else that she used to stop the trots. A couple of drops in half a glass of water was all it took. I believe it was some kind of opiate.
If Bill doesn't BackTheBill, then don't back Bill - Gosford Anglican Church noticeboard.