My new word

Favourite recipes, great tips and tricks, new discoveries, healthy living ideas, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: My new word

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Apr 2019, 16:19

:lol: :text-thankyou:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Apr 2019, 21:12

All unknown to me, and so far I've looked up only monophthongal, because Lynny's guess was better than I could imagine!
Light bloomed when I saw diphthong, which I knew from learning Pitman's shorthand. But Pitman it seems got his vowels wrong. We were taught short vowels were heard in That Pen Is Not Much Good, which is also what I read now. But the long vowels he had as being in Pa May We All Go Too, but in what I've just read May should not be included there, ay is actually a diphthong, sounded with two vowels, eh-ee. Pitman had 4 dipthongs, as in How Cute Boys Eyes - Ah-oo, Ee-oo, Aw-ee, Ah-ee.

So anyway, all the simple vowels and all the consonants would be monophthongal? Big word for a simple thing!
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Apr 2019, 06:19

I was looking up aerated concrete and found there are two types - autoclaved and non-autoclaved. The concrete mixture rises like bread with yeast, then is autoclaved and comes out strengthened and cut to size. ( I thought)

So is this 'automatic cleaving' or cutting? But don't surgical instruments go into an autoclave for sterilisation?

So that is my new word - autoclave!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Apr 2019, 06:30

But why 'auto-'? Why 'clave'? I shall check my NSOED.

It is derived from the Latin clavus, a nail or key. Autoclave signifies self-fastening. A pressure cooker is an autoclave.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 18 Apr 2019, 08:04

Dreamweaver wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 06:19
I was looking up aerated concrete.............
.......as ya do.......... :icon_biggrin:

I love your enquiring mind DW! So I had to look up aerated concrete and found it was something I'd known about ever since I helped build our first house. Breeze blocks - as they were called in England.
And now I know how they're made! You can never stop learning can you.
Thanks for that! :icon_biggrin:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Apr 2019, 14:14

I still call them breeze blocks.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Apr 2019, 17:38

Why was I looking it up, Lynny? Simple. I wanted to buy two blocks to take to my son's house to help me get up his three steep front steps. I wanted them light enough to easily carry there, strong enough to stand on, and not attractive enough to invite passers-by to filch them.

I usually arrive there by taxi, phoning that I am approaching. On arrival the driver sounds the horn. The two little grand-daughters pulled the curtains back and shouted "Here's Grandma!" Son would be straight out to help pull me up the steps.

Now you see part of that screed is present tense, part past tense! :lol: For one, they have extended the house and the main family room is now right at the back of the house. No window to street, horns difficult to hear. Mobile phones for some reason are not as accessible in this new design! Entry to the back yard is through a carport with lockable roller door, and even if that were left open, their back steps though shallower have no hand rail, so I would still need manual assistance.

I guess many would say son could do more, not knowing his circumstance. So don't! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Apr 2019, 17:42

Perrorist wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 06:30
But why 'auto-'? Why 'clave'? I shall check my NSOED.

It is derived from the Latin clavus, a nail or key. Autoclave signifies self-fastening. A pressure cooker is an autoclave.
:text-thankyou: After dismissing the prospect of 'cleave', I had looked at 'lave' and wondered why the C was there! Now I know. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 19 Apr 2019, 19:04

Thanks for the explanation DW. I hope you've solved the problem.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 24 Apr 2019, 11:41

Absquatulate.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Apr 2019, 21:39

I think Linny I'll have to settle for the breeze block type which have hollow centres, rather than the Hebel (concrete foam) type, as the local shop doesn't stock small amounts, just orders in what is needed for major projects. But that's okay, I think the weight of the two sorts is much the same.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Apr 2019, 21:59

Absquatulate. Squatting exercise to strengthen the abs? And -ulate as in undulate, emulate, ambulate, copulate? Obviously doing something. :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Apr 2019, 06:21

Definitely doing something.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 25 Apr 2019, 10:47

DW :lol: I was thinking along the same lines but had ulate wrong thinking it was a noise one made when sitting down and you're 75. But that is (not quite) ululate. Now I know what ulate is - more or less - absquatulate might mean that you're at the gym and exercising the abs by squatting and a little bit of wee comes out. 8-[

Sorry about that!

I've resisted looking up the whole word yet as I'm exercising my willpower.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Apr 2019, 14:24

It means scarpering with something that doesn't belong to you. Like the club treasurer absconding with the funds.