Slow boot

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Slow boot

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jun 2018, 10:45

My pc is taking its time about booting up. I switch it on and get a light - (power light?) but then it goes out and the whole thing is silent. Yet if the power had gone off my monitor screen would tell me I had no signal, where instead it's just dark. Eventually, some minutes later, light's back on and a slow boot up starts.

Now I know this I wait. First few times I'd think it had turned off and try to start it again, which only made things worse! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Slow boot

Post by Perrorist » 13 Jun 2018, 11:55

It's possible there's a Windows update going on in the background, though it normally tells you that. It could be a disk that's getting full (i.e. >80%). Have you done s disk cleanup recently?

Another cause could be a dodgy driver (the software kind). Go to Control Panel and search (top right corner) for 'Device'. Then click Device Manager.

In the Device Manager window, scroll down and see if any device has a highlighted exclamation mark next to it. If it has, it need attention. I'll explain how if that's the case.

If all is well, in Start's side menu see if you can see Administrative Tools. If not, return to the Control Panel and search for Admin. The item should be at the top of the search results. Select it and then choose Event Viewer from the list shown. It takes a while to appear.

In the list of events there are lots of warnings and errors. Ignore these. See if you can see any marked Critical for today's date. If there are, ignore if the Event ID is 41, as that will be where you've restarted while waiting for the screen to show. Let me know if you find a different Event ID.

If all looks good, the next stop is the disk. I don't know how old the laptop is (or what version of Windows you're running), but if the disk is over two years old it might be failing. It could also be 'stiction', which is when there's a delay to spinning up. I can guide you for checking the disk's health if you cannot find another cause.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 13 Jun 2018, 16:34

Yep Perri I had an update, which turned my computer off three times.
every thing was slow & the only thing on the screen was a percentage sign & do not turn computer off!!!!!
took about 40 minutes to complete. :hhuuuhhhh

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Jun 2018, 17:53

If you have Windows 10, this happens a lot.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jun 2018, 20:38

Did all that, found nothing. It's the PC, not lappy, though that has other problems. The PC is quite old, Running Windows 10, which recently updated.

I'm noticing other things like it not recognising when I turn the adblocker off, and tonight I can't get out of Microsoft Office Word 2007 because it won't recognise I've finished correcting spelling/grammar. :flaming_mad
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Jun 2018, 10:37

Well! As soon as I turned off it did another Windows update. I turned it on this morning and it went on to install it. Now everything seems fine, but perhaps a warning that nothing lasts forever! :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 14 Jun 2018, 17:08

Dreamie; Try downloading free version of Ccleaner. clean all your history. If you already have it them on settings scroll down to advanced & then tick OLD PREFETCH DATA- THEN RUN CLEANER AGAIN. for a while your comp. will run slow till new data is installed. don't forget to untick pre fetch data once you have cleaned your comp!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Jun 2018, 18:41

Thanks Big Granddad. I use Ccleaner regularly, so now I'll do as you suggest. :happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.