Scam Alert - myGov

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Scam Alert - myGov

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Jul 2019, 05:21

ABC Brisbane
4 July 2018 ·
‼️SCAM ALERT‼️

Scammers have set up a clone of the myGov website to trick you into sharing your login and bank account details, Stay Smart Online says.

The scam starts with a phishing email that looks like it is from Medicare, asking you to update your Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) details, so you can start receiving payments for Medicare benefits and claims.

If you click on the link in the email you are taken a replica of the real myGov website. You’ll note the URL includes ‘.net’ instead of ‘.gov.au’, which is an indication the website is not a legitimate Australian Government domain!

If you input your login details you are directed to also enter your secret security question and answer, before you’re taken to the fake Medicare website to input your bank account details.

These emails and web pages feature myGov and Medicare design and branding, making them appear legitimate.

Remember, clicking on the link and sharing your details gives these scammers access to your personal information, which they then use to steal your money and identity!
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Re: Scam Alert - myGov

Post by Biggdad » 12 Jul 2019, 22:41

thanks Dreamy: :text-thankyou:

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 13 Jul 2019, 09:00

That says 4th July 2018 DW.
No doubt it is still doing the rounds though.
However the myGov website was apparently down for some hours yesterday which caused loads of trouble for some trying to report their income.

The scam email I'm getting most of lately is from Bunnings which begins ' Dear Beloved Customer'. From Bunnings?........yeah right! It wants to reward/give me a loyalty card. Strangely the email is followed by loads of faint script on either biblical stuff or something in French. Anyone else had these?

Just don't click on anything is my motto.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jul 2019, 14:22

lynny wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 09:00
That says 4th July 2018 DW.
No doubt it is still doing the rounds though.
However the myGov website was apparently down for some hours yesterday which caused loads of trouble for some trying to report their income.
:oops
So it does! Thanks Lynny.
I've heard there are world wide internet problems, with Twitter and others going down, but haven't seen that reported recently.
I did find this, which might be helpful - https://livemap.pingdom.com/
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jul 2019, 14:35

lynny wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 09:00
The scam email I'm getting most of lately is from Bunnings which begins ' Dear Beloved Customer'. From Bunnings?........yeah right! It wants to reward/give me a loyalty card. Strangely the email is followed by loads of faint script on either biblical stuff or something in French. Anyone else had these?

Just don't click on anything is my motto.
Some time ago I had an email saying I had a parcel to collect from a depot named as Bunnings. I forget what details they asked for,but rang Bunnings anyway. They confirmed it a scam.
These people seem to target Bunnings a lot
Scams illegally use Bunnings’ name and logo to trick people into giving out personal information.

These schemes target people using fake emails, Facebook pages, text messages and/or websites offering the opportunity to win, or receive, gift cards, prizes, or false employment opportunities.

These scams are represented in some of the following ways:

Filling out a 'Customer Satisfaction' Survey and giving personal details
Sharing, commenting and 'liking' a Facebook page
Calling a specified telephone number and providing personal information
Other organisations making contact to ‘confirm’ personal details
Claiming a ‘prize’ in a Bunnings branded email and filling in personal information to collect the prize
Bunnings is in no way associated with any of the above activities and does not use email or social media for any promotions offering free gift cards. Bunnings will also never ask for personal information, or banking details in unsolicited communications.

Bunnings is reporting all scams to the ACCC’s SCAM Watch and is encouraging customers to help eliminate these scams and protect others by also reporting your experience to the ACCC.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/scam-warning
I dream, therefore I am.