Mystery messages

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Mystery messages

Post by Dreamweaver »

I have been depending on built in virus protection, but decided I'd better go back to Malwarebites free, which hadn't been transferred from my old computer. When looking to install it I saw good reviews for TotalAV free, and installed that. Shortly after, it gave me a trial of its fully paid program although I had not requested it, and now get warnings the trial period is about to run out.

Could this be related to a strange thing that is happening? Today I noticed a little box in the centre of my screen, saying 'boring', which I thought had something to do with comments I was reading on a website. But it remained on my screen wherever I went. I thought I'd fixed it by turning the power off and restarting the machine, but just now while reading an email the little box was back, saying 'bully'. After a moment it changed to 'kiss from me'. This is now following me, even onto new blank tabs!

I have run TotalAV but it is finding nothing.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Mystery messages

Post by Perrorist »

You're better off with MalwareBytes. TotalAV may have installed the virus unless you installed other software at the same time, in which case I don't know where to point the finger. Are those messages coming up only in your browser? If so, MWB will probably remove them after you've removed TotalAV.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Thanks Perry, will do. I ran another scan and again restarted the machine. Everything looked good. I was just now searching for gift cards to send when 'ciao' appeared!
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I noticed up in the righthand corner of my screen, beside the 3 dots, a sort of music symbol which used not be there. When I hovered on it, it was about controlling music, videos, and more. I clicked on it, and tried to copy the text so I could remember accurately, as I suffer from senility! But it wouldn't copy. Facebook Watch Legacy - Bedroom TV. I deleted it, hoping that was the culprit, but now it's back.

I took Malwarebytes offer of checking extensions. I ran a Malwarebytes scan, which found nothing, but the extension checker found one that could read and alter things on my browser, so that's gone!

Hoping that they were the same thing and that now all will be well! :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

That sounds like the problem. I select all the MWB checks. Better to have an occasional false result than lose my PC to some malicious virus.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

I recommend against downloading "free" software unless it's from a reputable supplier, as it usually carries a payload, which at a bare minimum is advertising. Free programs are also used to hijack devices to send spam to other users.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I think Mirkat is the culprit. I have uninstalled it. Directions were to uninstall Lenova Accelorator Application which I couldn't see, but if they are one and the same all is well. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.