Net Neutrality

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

lynny
Diamond Member

Net Neutrality

Post by lynny » 13 Dec 2017, 09:00

Can anyone explain what this is?
A US photographer Jason M Peterson that I follow on Instagram bought it to my attention.
It seems, as I read it, that in the US, if they vote to remove Net Neutrality then their ISPs can block web sites they don't like or are less popular than say Facebook and the like. Obviously it will eventually affect other countries too..........I think.....
Sounds like more big brother to me.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Perrorist » 13 Dec 2017, 09:17

It's being pushed by big companies like Verizon in the US who provide access to the internet, but opposed by big providers like Google and Facebook. The bloke in charge of the government body that rules on these matters is against net neutrality and is expected to rule in favour of Verizon and others.

This is another of Trump's fiascos. All his appointments are for people least suited to their roles, as is he. What the consequences are for countries outside the US is not fully understood. The EC will not take it lying down if Europe is affected.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Dec 2017, 09:21

Incidentally, the likelihood is that access to services with high traffic, such as Google and Facebook, will be subject to fees by the internet companies or put on to lower speeds. Or the high traffic companies will be charged. Verizon, in particular, is after the money.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Dec 2017, 13:58

At present the Internet is not owned by anyone but the USA is claiming it's invention and ownership......surprise, surprise, hey?

If that Trump idea is passed by American Courts, it will mean that there will be a commercial advantage for the eventual owners, as they will be able to charge a fee for the traffic on the net! Like a toll bridge or toll road. It will affect every user and will generate trillions of dollars over time.

I would expect that everyone outside the USA will be against the proposal but that doesn't seem to worry the American government, more like "What Trump wants, Trump gets!"

As Perry has said several larger USA based operators, incl the very big two Google and F/book, are against the idea because a lot of their business is outside the United States.

Everybody should be extremely cautious because the Globalisation process is in full swing and people are trying to get in wherever they can.

The NET must stay NEUTRAL!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Dec 2017, 16:26

Yesterday's Guardian article on Net Neutrality.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 15 Dec 2017, 09:38

It seems that the US regulators have voted to ditch net neutrality. 8-[

What now.......?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Dec 2017, 11:09

The vote was 3:2 in favour of dispensing with neutrality. The effect will be felt in the US primarily. They should be worried, because any of the big players like Comcast and Verison are now able to suppress sites whose opinions they don't like. I expect there'll be a massive protest if that happens, as the internet is to all intents a public service, and the free use of it was envisaged from the start.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Dec 2017, 18:16