Ecosia

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Ecosia

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Feb 2018, 18:31

How do I stop Ecosia taking over from Google search, unasked? :flaming_mad
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Ecosia

Post by Perrorist » 16 Feb 2018, 18:50

Ecosia, as you probably know, uses ad clicks to donate towards tree plantation, something we need desperately. It's a useful browser extension, but if you're also using the Windows Resizer, that extension hijacks Ecolinks. Do you have the Windows Resizer extension?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Feb 2018, 18:51

I should also have asked what browser you're using.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Feb 2018, 20:01

I know Perry that they're very worthwhile supporting, but when I'm on an urgent mission to find something I really want what turns up to be as relevant as possible as quickly as possible. I felt as though my blood pressure was soaring today.

Yes, any other day I wouldn't mind spending time with Ecosia, they are good people.

Never heard of Windows Resizer extension. Could I perhaps have it by mischance? I am using Chrome.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Feb 2018, 21:05

Click the three vertical dots at the top right of the Chrome window. Select Settings from the menu. Scroll down to the third panel, Search Engine, and change your preference.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Feb 2018, 22:08

Looked in there and Google is already my default search engine. Far down I saw Ecosia with the option of removing it from the long list, but I don't want to get rid of them altogether, in fact would like to give them some support. They can only improve with time if given a chance!
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Feb 2018, 17:58

I mainly wish that when I specify Australia they would not fill my list up with Canada, USA, and UK site suggestions. This is compounded by them adding other unasked things, like vegetarian and cooking when I want Australian mushrooms
:hitting_wall
My home help tells me her home computer is doing the same thing.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Feb 2018, 20:51

I add Australia or Central Coast when I want a local search. Otherwise, Google dishes up whatever it feels like.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Feb 2018, 11:31

:happy-sunshine:
Every search I've done today has stayed obediently on Google!
I can still use Ecosia when want to, but it's not automatically taking over uninvited any longer.
=D= =D=

. From https://browsermedia.agency/2017/04/12/ ... us-google/
In a test situation, when searching the term ‘ethical SEO agency’ on Google and Ecosia, I found the results to be fairly relevant to my query, but some of the results were not relevant for my location. On both search engines, the interface is attractive and easy to use, but Google offers more options to help find alternative results. There seems to be fewer ads within the Ecosia SERPs, however, I would likely become slowed down by having non-location specific results appear on page one.
All AI needs to be trained, I think, and it's younger than Google, but can catch up pretty quick, I'm sure.
I found it is using Bing and Yahoo algorithms
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Feb 2018, 21:12

Well it didn't last, did it. :flaming_mad Ecosia is back. I've used it tonight until I wanted something I really needed Google for. Mind you, Google responds for a few seconds until Ecosia takes it over. So I was surprised and pleased to have some success when I finally tried to ask Google "Why does Ecosia take over Google Search?", and Ecosia then gave me lists of sites complaining that Bing and Yahoo are hijacking Google too. Not mentioning Ecosia, but I know it uses the same algorithms.
Grr.
But this means it's not just Ecosia being nasty - which I was reluctant to believe anyhow.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Feb 2018, 21:44

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/ ... 4a3?auth=1
Want to use Google - Bing keeps over-riding - Can't remove the Bing toolbar in the upper right of the window
https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/y ... ne.194443/
yahoo keeps hijacking my default google search engine
https://www.quora.com/Bing-hijacked-my- ... o-I-fix-it
Bing hijacked my Google in Safari. Every time I click on a link in Google, it goes to Bing search results. I am using OS X. How do I fix it?

One answer here is JonYaffe replied on June 1, 2014
I had this problem, as of may 2014, and found I can fix it by doing the following:
Go into Chrome Settings, and activate Show Advanced Settings
Scroll down to near the bottom, to the System section
Check (activate) "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"
Reset whatever you like (default startup behavior, etc.)
Close the page, exit Chrome
Restart Chrome. It should be fixed.
The downside of this is that any extensions you run along with Chrome sill stay open and take up some room. I don't like this, but apparently Chrome maintains setting options as if they were held in an extension. If you use a lot of extensions this will take up RAM, but not draw down much in the way of CPU if any. So, I geuess we have to line with it.
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 20 Feb 2018, 09:35

There are a few free "browser hijacker" removal tools out there.

https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solution ... or-pc.html

https://www.avast.com/c-browser-hijacker
........and some good tips here from windows club.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-brow ... moval-tool
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Feb 2018, 18:57

I've found something! Top R.H , left of 3 dots, was an Ecosia symbol. I clicked on it which opened some Ecosia thing. This is what it said -
Ecosia extension options
1. Forward Google/Bing searches to Ecosia

2. Allow the sending of metrics via Google Analytics (Ecosia uses these only to improve its products and services so that you can plant more trees)

Your feedback
Any problems with the extension?
Send us an email at support@ecosia.zendesk.com or use the request form
Both options were ticked. I've unticked no.1, but am happy to leave no.2 to help them learn!
:happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.