do you get what you pay for on NBN

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Biggdad
Gold Member

do you get what you pay for on NBN

Post by Biggdad »

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: do you get what you pay for on NBN

Post by Perrorist »

I'm happy with my service, as I should be given I have fibre to the premises and the top speed. I ordered this before Abbott and Turnbull took a chainsaw to the NBN. They should be in jail for what they did, and all to keep Murdoch happy.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Within a few years, NBN Co will need to order a third satellite and to make improvements to the provision of broadband in regional and remote areas.

There has been no mention of this in NBN Co’s corporate plan and NBN Co has had to be dragged, kicking and screaming to fix problems with the fixed wireless network.
https://www.innovationaus.com/2019/02/N ... d-solution
I dream, therefore I am.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked »

nope. shocking service from telstra
getting about 2mb/sec.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

With the roll out of the National Broadband Network due to be completed next year, Australia’s new communications minister says that there will not be an immediate push to privatise NBN Co.
https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... -way-away/

But wen it happens, what is being considered?
It might come as a surprise to many but there is no national plan regarding the future of the NBN.

Last week, TelSoc organised a panel discussion about the privatisation of the NBN, as is foreshadowed in the NBN legislation of 2009.

The presenters were Professor Peter Gerrand, consultant and ex-Telstra executive Dr Jim Holmes, former chairman of the ACCC Graeme Samuel and executive general manager of the ACCC Infrastructure Regulation division Michael Cosgrave.

The following options were discussed:

Integrating NBN and InfraCo (Peter Gerrand)
This could involve the potential integration of NBN and Telstra’s InfraCo, in either government or private ownership.

Government retaining ownership (Dr Jim Holmes)
In this option, the NBN is retained as a government business enterprise.

NBN sold as an entity (Graeme Samuel)
This should include a legislated process comprising a declaration that the NBN is built and operational; a Productivity Commission inquiry; Parliamentary Joint Committee consideration; and Parliamentary approval.

NBN disaggregated by technologies and each sold separately (Michael Cosgrave)
As recommended by the 2014 Vertigan Report, in this option FTTx, HFC, fixed wireless and satellite could be sold and would compete with each other.
https://independentaustralia.net/politi ... o.facebook
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

With the roll out of the National Broadband Network due to be completed next year, Australia’s new communications minister says that there will not be an immediate push to privatise NBN Co.
https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... -way-away/

But when it happens, what is being considered?
It might come as a surprise to many but there is no national plan regarding the future of the NBN.

Last week, TelSoc organised a panel discussion about the privatisation of the NBN, as is foreshadowed in the NBN legislation of 2009.

The presenters were Professor Peter Gerrand, consultant and ex-Telstra executive Dr Jim Holmes, former chairman of the ACCC Graeme Samuel and executive general manager of the ACCC Infrastructure Regulation division Michael Cosgrave.

The following options were discussed:

Integrating NBN and InfraCo (Peter Gerrand)
This could involve the potential integration of NBN and Telstra’s InfraCo, in either government or private ownership.

Government retaining ownership (Dr Jim Holmes)
In this option, the NBN is retained as a government business enterprise.

NBN sold as an entity (Graeme Samuel)
This should include a legislated process comprising a declaration that the NBN is built and operational; a Productivity Commission inquiry; Parliamentary Joint Committee consideration; and Parliamentary approval.

NBN disaggregated by technologies and each sold separately (Michael Cosgrave)
As recommended by the 2014 Vertigan Report, in this option FTTx, HFC, fixed wireless and satellite could be sold and would compete with each other.
https://independentaustralia.net/politi ... o.facebook
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny »

I'm very happy with Telstra and my unlimited monthly data and speeds of usually around 45-50mbps. They even gave me a new modem because I was still using the original one from back when we went onto NBN. Was that really in 2013/2014

Some nights there are four of us all streaming Netflix at the same time. :lol: