Please explain?

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Slapsy

Please explain?

Post by Slapsy »

Recently,my internet has been very slow,compared to what it was. Just now,I performed two speed tests with vastly different results. Does anybody have an explanation?
2020-07-02.png
2020-07-02 (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Please explain?

Post by grandduke »

Slaps old Son who is your internet provider.??
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

grandduke wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 14:06
Slaps old Son who is your internet provider.??
Telstra. Makes you wonder how reliable the Ookla speedtest is,eh.
Yesterday the Telstra test showed less than 10,but in the evening increased to 28.
I am on the Standard Plus plan,and normally the two tests are comparable,at about 45/48.
I will do another test tonight.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke »

I recently missed 4 monthly payments how that happened beats me, all i can think of is they changed their email bill notification format and i did not recognise them and kept deleting them, the things is they let it run till the end of june that was 5 months before they cut my service.
5 month 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ shit thats incredible for that many hungry mob anyway back to the ring road via the Philippines call centres hung up on once left hanging on the phone but i eventually made it to pay the bill in full.

Now could this been because i went to the Ombudsman on a recent occasion because on that event they jumped through loops and gave me a case manager, hark whats that smell doodoo. :heeheehee :heeheehee So Slapsy if you have an issue and they are mucking you about call the Ombudsman's office.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

The Ookla test is fairly reliable, but your internet speed is dependent on your connection. Slapsy, are connected via FTTN or FTTP?

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Perrorist wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 18:26
The Ookla test is fairly reliable, but your internet speed is dependent on your connection. Slapsy, are connected via FTTN or FTTP?
I was one of the early connections Perry. We were locked in to FTTP before Turnbull started playing his tricks. It has been great,up to now,but last Saturday I had to watch the Sydney races on my phone.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

That's odd. What upload/download bandwidth did you sign up for?

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Perrorist wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 21:01
That's odd. What upload/download bandwidth did you sign up for?
Originally I was only on the basic plan,10g/month,which I thought would be plenty,at that time. Over the years they had gradually upgraded me to 200g,and increased the speed. I have now converted to the unlimited standard plus speed.
I have just checked the speed again,just now,and it is back to 36.1. Is it possible that Telstra could be reading the forum. 8-[

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

I'm not sure what the unlimited standard promises, but the maximum speed from Telstra is 100/40, i.e. download/upload, which is what I have. Running Ookla just now, I get 81.72/34.60, which is lower than it used to be, so it must be increased traffic leading to congestion. Videos? It wouldn't surprise me.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke »

Yes traffic load could well be a factor.
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

I live between two people working from home.One of them actually runs all the IT for the Catholic Education Office in Wollongong. He has had an extra 5G connection installed. Maybe that is the problem. He normally helps me with any problems,but he has been very busy lately.
We have a great group of young blokes working at the Telstra shop these days. I might see what they have to say about the problem. Maybe other people are reporting problems too.