Microsoft

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Microsoft

Post by Dreamweaver »

I have found others have this same problem - I thought it was just me!

Microsoft keeps telling me my account is temporarily suspended and I should alter my password.
I know the password is okay, and I don't know if I use Microsoft for anything now that I've switched to Wordpad instead of MSWord.
I've been ignoring the message, but it has been getting more insistant. I'm now told to enter my phone number so MS can text me a link to change my password. When I try to do this, the link (the one where I'm to enter my phone no.) won't load, so I can't even send my phone no..

Because exactly the same thing is happening to others here, I'm really puzzled! 8-[
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Re: Microsoft

Post by lynny »

I wouldn't trust anything that wants my phone number!
I trust nothing these days.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

How do you know for certain that it's from Microsoft?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

They are boxes coming up on the screen, not emails.
. . ?
I feel pretty sure the passeword must be the same one that gives me access to my lap top, the only computer I use.

The first message I received was some days ago, and only stated I was signed out of something (Drive?) and needed to sign in again. The messages have gradually got more insistant. Some were about sharing between my devices. I do have a Google Smart Speaker, but that is still operating as normal.

If I do not have a phone no. to leave, I can leave that of a friend, as long as MS knows where to send the link!
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Protect yourself from tech support scams - Windows Help
Search domain support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013405/windows-protect-from-tech-support-scamshttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013405/windows-protect-from-tech-support-scams
Furthermore, Microsoft Edge can stop pop-up dialog loops used by these sites. Turn on Windows Security real-time antivirus protection in Windows 10. It detects and removes known support scam malware. Microsoft technical support will never ask that you pay for support in the form of Bitcoin or gift cards.
I have been sticking to Chrome, I like it. But for some reason my start up page is Edge, which asks me to make it my browser. Perhaps I should!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Okay, first things first. Change your your home page in Chrome. Click the three vertical dots at the top right of your screen. You should see a dropdown menu. Near the bottom is Settings. Click that. Now scroll to the bottom of that page to a section labelled On start up. There are three options:
- Open the New Tab page
- Continue where you left off
- Open a specific page or set of pages.
Which of these is currently selected?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Next, you have a cloud-based service called OneDrive that is provided by Microsoft as part of Windows. Because it's a cloud service, it's password-controlled. The password is the same as the one you use to log into Windows after you start your PC/laptop. The next time you're asked to supply the password, that's what it wants.

The reason you're asked to log in to OneDrive is that Microsoft has beefed up its security. Because Microsoft places your files by default into OneDrive, e.g. Documents, it occasionally asks for a login password. That's almost certainly what you're experiencing now.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Perrorist wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 15:56
Okay, first things first. Change your your home page in Chrome. Click the three vertical dots at the top right of your screen. You should see a dropdown menu. Near the bottom is Settings. Click that. Now scroll to the bottom of that page to a section labelled On start up. There are three options:
- Open the New Tab page
- Continue where you left off
- Open a specific page or set of pages.
Which of these is currently selected?
Open the New Tab page
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Perrorist wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:05
Next, you have a cloud-based service called OneDrive that is provided by Microsoft as part of Windows. Because it's a cloud service, it's password-controlled. The password is the same as the one you use to log into Windows after you start your PC/laptop. The next time you're asked to supply the password, that's what it wants.

The reason you're asked to log in to OneDrive is that Microsoft has beefed up its security. Because Microsoft places your files by default into OneDrive, e.g. Documents, it occasionally asks for a login password. That's almost certainly what you're experiencing now.

I had also done this and got the message
Microsoft

Something went wrong
There is a problem with your Microsoft account. To fix this, sign in to account.live.com from a browser.
I forget what happened after that, so will try that again
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Microsoft
Sign in
name@gmail.com
No account? Create one!
Sign in with a security key
Sign-in options
Ah! I think perhaps I don't have this particular account?
Microsoft
Sign-in options

Sign in with a security key
Choose this only if you have enabled a security key for your account.

Sign in with GitHub

Forgot my username
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

So I tried to create an account, but I must already have one, as my email address is already taken.
Microsoft
Create account

someone@example.com
Use a phone number instead
Get a new email address
Should I try to find my old account, or use my phone number for a new one?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Use your phone number and hope it works.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Microsoft
Sign in
Sign-in is blocked
You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect account or password.
Sign-in with +61(no.) is blocked for one of these reasons:
Someone entered the wrong password too many times.
If you signed up for this account through an organization, you might not be able to use it yet.
Reset your password
Sign in using another Microsoft account
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I am at the age Perry when I don't trust myself to do anything much, and I don't want to change my password. My son set up the lap top for me and did all this Microsoft stuff, and one day when the lock down is over he can come and sort it out again, as long as Microsoft doesn't in the meantime lock me out of the whole computer. I have now phoned him and explained, and he said he had had problems with cloud storage as it was slowing his computer, and he turned OneDrive off. Just won't be able to retrieve his files if disaster strikes! Perhaps I should do the same, but the way he did it was first to get into it and follow turn off procedure. He can't tell me how to turn it off with out accessing it!

My fingers stay crossed that I can still access all I need to until he can visit again! :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.