Migrants to Outback

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Migrants to Outback

Post by Tedwalker » 09 Oct 2018, 17:55

The government is contemplating sending new migrants to rural areas.
The idea may sound reasonable, but the unemployment rate is worse in most of these areas.
So what will the migrants do for a living?
Also, unemployed young people often turn to crime.
Perhaps the government knows something we don't know.

Slapsy

Re: Migrants to Outback

Post by Slapsy » 11 Oct 2018, 14:40

Lots of migrants,who have found their way to our rural areas,have been very successful.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Oct 2018, 18:14

This is a typical knee-jerk solution to a poorly articulated problem. Directing people to live in a regional area without providing jobs will just see them move to the cities where the jobs are.

Population policy is lacking in Australia. We need to consider how many we can accommodate without putting undue pressure on scarce resources. A comprehensive strategy would use taxation relief and subsidies to get companies to move away from crowded conurbations like Sydney. Government bodies could also relocate, as the Tax Office did in setting up in Gosford recently.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Oct 2018, 22:57

Here where I live in a provincial city, our hospital operating theatres can't keep up with the demand. We have surgeons and patients travelling out to at least 4 country hospitals, may be more, for operations - often day surgery. More remote towns like Hamilton and Horsham, with populations between 10,000 and 20,000, can't retain enough skilled professionals when their families want to head to the big smoke. I wonder if this scheme is meant to resolve such issues. It still comes back to the point that there aren't enough jobs for everyone to earn a living, and what we can produce cheaply through mechanisation/computerisation/robotism etc must become the basis for our economy, rather than a financial basis. So much of the world is not ready, and in the slow process many will suffer, migrants or not. It's scary. Even though there are less babies being born world wide, there are less people of all ages dying.

In the long term it doesn't matter what we do with immigrants, though it's the short term problem that effects us. All we can do is treat them with compassion, and trust we all survive this digital revolution (or whatever it's called.)
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 12 Oct 2018, 08:12

I just feel it emphasizes the fact that most politicians are out of touch with reality and will say anything to win votes. The PM puts on an akubra, flies in, flies out and thinks he looks like one of us.

As DW points out, the health system in this country is failing the people.
We all need good health care and if you live in a remote community it's not always easy to come by.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Oct 2018, 09:30

Out of touch with reality, for sure. And will say anything to win votes, absolutely. In a Thursday video for the Wentworth byelection, Malcolm Turnbull’s son Alex has denounced “extremists on the hard right” who, he says, have taken over the Liberal Party.
https://theconversation.com/grattan-on- ... ith-104797
I dream, therefore I am.