Proposed new tax

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Proposed new tax

Post by kfchugo » 06 Dec 2018, 15:04

I see that the Greens are pushing for a new 'sugar tax" to stem the growing tide of obesity in Australia. Do we REALLY NEED any new taxes? Lets look at the status quo..... we have tax on alcohol (so we wont drink too much), we have tax on tobacco (so we wont smoke too much) we have tax on fuel (so we wont drive too much)... how are these working so far?..... have we stopped drinking, smoking or driving? All we are doing is putting more money in government coffers so that our politicians can waste or mismanage it. Just look at smoking as an example - it delivers no benefits whatsoever to the consumer, its expensive as well as being carcenogenic - if our politicians were serious about caring for our well being, they would simply ban tobacco sales. This wont happen as they are more focussed on the revenue produced.
Assuming that this "sugar tax" gets up......what is next? - a "salt tax".....too much salt is bad for us, or perhaps a "flour tax" carbohydrates are possibly the biggest contributor to obesity. Our "nanny state" mentality has gotten completely out of hand and people simply need to take responsibility for their poor choices in life.
Possibly the major factor in our declining standard of living is the cost we bear in ever increasing taxation - do we need to don yellow vests and take to the streets to get the message across to our politicians?
:hitting_wall

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Proposed new tax

Post by Perrorist » 06 Dec 2018, 16:28

The tax on cigarettes is making a difference. A family member is trying desperately to stop smoking because of the increased cost.

When a tax is based on a constituent of a product it encourages the producer to find more acceptable alternatives. Obesity is a huge (no pun intended) problem in Western society. Sugar is a major factor in that. Encouraging alternatives either through legislation or by tax will significantly reduce the cost to society of obesity-related illnesses, such as stage 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, strokes, and heart attacks.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 06 Dec 2018, 18:23

A tax on products according to the percentage of sugars is a good idea, especially for children's health.
So called energy drinks and sweetened breakfast cereals should be more or less expensive according to the amount of added sugar.
People would soon be looking for the cheaper and presumably healthier versions. The market would adjust by producing better processed foods. Unprocessed foods should be exempt. No tax on honey, for example, or fresh or dried fruits but cakes, sauces and confectionary could be taxed some more if it will help change people's eating choices.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 06 Dec 2018, 21:28

I dont see how this could work without being a windfall for the government. Sugar is not a drug or substance used for recreation - it is Food and is already a component of most processed foods we eat. We probably already pay GST on many items containing sugar. Our governments at all levels are already adept at charging taxes on taxes already paid......i.e.,taxes are the major component of the cost of petrol, yet we pay GST on the total, not just the actual fuel cost.
I cant believe that people are actually supporting an in initiative to introduce yet another tax. Why not a ration system where the government controls how much sugar we actually consume?......how much control of our daily lives are we prepared to sacrifice "for the common good"?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Dec 2018, 22:15

Sugar would be fine, if we only chewed the sugar cane. We have refined all the goodness out of it. There is approximately 35 g in a 330 ml can of soft drink, a bit over 10.6 g of sugar per 100 ml of drink. And 35 g of sugar amounts to about 7 teaspoons of sugar!

I am presently using stevia, which is plant based (agave?) and find that while I enjoy the sweet taste, I can also now enjoy unsweetened tea, something impossible when I was hooked on sugar!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Dec 2018, 06:13

The tax doesn't have to go into the government's coffers. It can be tied to something beneficial to the community, such as medical research, public hospitals, etc.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 07 Dec 2018, 09:22

I thank Julia Gillard for helping me to stop smoking. After years of ttying succeeding for a few weeks then failing.

Those gruesome pictures on the packet and plain label as well as cost due to taxes forced me to finally atop.
Thank you Prime minister Gillard.
As a diabetic I say bring the sugar tax
Sorry kfhugo disagree with you on this one.
Thanks however for a good post. Its started great discussion.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 07 Dec 2018, 09:55

Perrorist wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 06:13
The tax doesn't have to go into the government's coffers. It can be tied to something beneficial to the community, such as medical research, public hospitals, etc.
Unhealthy products add to the health care and hospital costs. It is appropriate that the manufacturers and consumers of these products contribute a bit extra to this cost by way of an additional tax. It is a very avoidable imposition. Simply avoid the high sugar products in favour low sugar. Or only buy them for special occasions.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 08 Dec 2018, 21:20

The sad fact is that those on low incomes with little money to spend on food after all the basic necessities are paid, have to resort to eating less than healthy choices in food - and look at how cheap junk food is. When you can get a meal of fried chicken and sides for $5 or a hamburger and fries etc etc it is no surprise that they go for those options. It is of course full of sugars, fats and fillers - that is what makes it a palatable choice.

With meat prices as high as they are, seasonal vegetables also high due to the drought, people resort to breads and pastas and because so many of the younger generation have no idea how to cook from scratch as most of us were taught to do, they buy the ready made prepared frozen meals, again full of fat sugar and salt - but they are cheap.

Schools perhaps could consider bringing back domestic science classes into the curriculum's along with mothercraft classes, to show how to budget, economize, cook cheaply but well for children and babies etc etc. Even mothers on low incomes are buying disposable nappies for their babies - they know no different and the cost factor is huge.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Dec 2018, 07:10

The domestic science classes should be for all kids. The same goes for financial literacy and parenting.