Kerryn Phelps

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Kerryn Phelps

Post by Warrigal » 08 Feb 2019, 11:34

I applaud Dr Phelps for leading the parliament by presenting legislation to change, for the better, the way Australia treats asylum seekers in off shore detention. I really hope she will be given overwhelming support from the opposition and the cross bench.

It sounds like Bill Shorten is having second thoughts about this legislation. I doubt it has much to do with Dutton's security briefing and more to do with wanting to avoid political fall out.

I can assure him now that he will get plenty of fall out if he caves in and supports the government's inferior plan. My primary vote will be part of that fallout.

Morrison is on the record as saying that if the bill passes the House of Reps, he will just ignore it. In that case, the Opposition should call an immediate no confidence motion. If that happens my primary vote will again land on Labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ALDHyB9wC8

Look at her photo and you will recognise the face of a principled, strong woman who is more than qualified to speak out on matters of public health and social justice. Let's have more of them and more principled, strong men as well. By strong I mean able to stand up to bullies and do what is right, even if it is unpopular.
If Bill doesn't BackTheBill, then don't back Bill - Gosford Anglican Church noticeboard.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Kerryn Phelps

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Feb 2019, 21:43

I do see that as I look at her photo, Warri. What worries me most about unprincipled parliamentarians, is why they are unprincipled. Is it because they are influenced by big money, or because they are pandering to a majority vote? I can understand though am disgusted by the idea they're bought, but I am more horrified by the thought that the majority of Australians (or even a large number) might support their thinking. :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Feb 2019, 09:01

It may sound cynical, but if both parties receive tens of thousands of dollars from mining companies, it will be their interests that get served ahead of ours. That's why Labor won't act on stopping Adani from going ahead. However, the Labor party has been scared of the border security issue ever since Howard made it a partisan policy and wedged Labor on it. Shorten is trying to avoid this, but he's running a big risk if he doesn't support Phelps. The bill being put forward is from the Senate, where Labor's already voted for it.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 09 Feb 2019, 12:09

Good on Dr.Phelps for winning Wentworth. Now she needs to get down,off the fence,and show us where she stands on important issues. Rather than simply abstaining from voting,she needs to show her constituents she has the courage and commitment for what she campaigned for.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 09 Feb 2019, 17:14

Slapsy wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:09
Good on Dr.Phelps for winning Wentworth. Now she needs to get down,off the fence,and show us where she stands on important issues. Rather than simply abstaining from voting,she needs to show her constituents she has the courage and commitment for what she campaigned for.
Slapsy, you can get a good idea about what Dr Phelps stands for here: http://australianpolitics.com/2018/11/2 ... peech.html

You can read or listen to her maiden speech in parliament on 26 November last year.
If Bill doesn't BackTheBill, then don't back Bill - Gosford Anglican Church noticeboard.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 10 Feb 2019, 16:00

Warrigal wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:14
Slapsy wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:09
Slapsy, you can get a good idea about what Dr Phelps stands for here: http://australianpolitics.com/2018/11/2 ... peech.html

You can read or listen to her maiden speech in parliament on 26 November last year.
I watched her maiden speech live Warrigal. I also watched Morrison turn his back on her as he walked out of the chamber. I have also seen her,and other independents,sitting at the back of the chamber to ensure their votes were not counted,when they could have been the difference,one way or the other.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 10 Feb 2019, 18:48

I imagine the independents have to pick their battles otherwise they will be taken for granted. Since most of them seem to be disillusioned Liberals I am not surprised that they tend not to side with Labor all that often. They have only three options, vote for, vote against, or abstain. As politicians they probably haggle for benefits for their electorate. Remember Se Harradine of Tasmania. He was an inveterate horse trader. The current lot are better than this IMO but we will have to wait and see how they behave.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Feb 2019, 09:22

From reports I have seen, the legislation proposed by Dr Phelps is a good and humane system which will benefit those in detention who really NEED medical attention. The government seems to have dug their heels in over this and are mounting a scare campaign to defeat it. I am bemused by Scott Morrisons comment that if the bill is successful, he will simply ignore it. A VERY dangerous precedent in my opinion. When a government chooses to ignore laws passed by Parliament, where does that leave our democracy?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Feb 2019, 11:00

We also have Pyne saying the bill will allow 1000 refugees to come to Australia. But the bill is for URGENT medical attention. If there are 1000 people needing urgent attention, what has being going on?

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 12 Feb 2019, 08:45

Exactly, Perry. What has been going on is a cruel system of mental and physical neglect that is having the inevitable effect of driving people mad as they slowly break down physically. Eventually crisis point is reached. This is where they are now. When eventually they are released, they will be referred to as survivors of Australia's border protection policy.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Feb 2019, 18:45

She came through. It's what the Weentworth voters wanted and they'll probably now keep her as their MP after the election.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 14 Feb 2019, 08:31

The government mob are not admitting Dr Phelps' part in this matter. They have ramped the rhetoric up to atmospheric levels and taken aim at Bill Shorten. Bill seems quite at ease about it all. Christopher Pyne, on the other hand, sounds quite hysterical. Morrison, Frydenberg and others have resorted to shouting when questioned.

This is going to be a very interesting election and a litmus test of the average Australian's sense of the fair go.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Feb 2019, 09:10

The Libs are making complete idiots of themselves in trying to mount a gigantic scare campaign over this. Anyone with a brain will realise that this legislation only applies to refugees CURRENTLY on Manus or Nauru so why would anyone try to get here to take advantage of legislation that specifically EXCLUDES them. Morrison is opening the Christmas Island detention centre to cope with the expected flood of new arrivals that simply wont eventuate.
I am not usually a Labor voter,and I dont support many of their policies, but I will vote for them in the next election if only to get rid of these blazing incompetents who are too self centered to see what is good for our country. The Libs will do or say ANYTHING to cling to power.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Feb 2019, 09:37

Hugo, I have certain friends who vote for a minor party and give Labor their second preference. They feel they are really voting Labor, but registering a protest against them too, as not being their primary choice. If you make your primary choice one that has no chance, you still send signals about what policies you (and presumably a proportion of others) favour. :twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Feb 2019, 10:19

What makes this a complete farce is that over 27,000 asylum seekers arrived by air last year, and only 2% were granted refugee status. The remainder enjoyed a visa-free holiday and an unknown number disappeared. So if we have a problem with asylum seekers, why do we ignore them and penalise the few hundreds that try to get here by hazardous means? It makes no sense whatsoever.