Nixon 2.0

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Re: Nixon 2.0

Post by hawkeye » 11 May 2019, 12:23

America is on the wane. We have traded in the middle class for low inflation. It is sad to say but almost all conservatives I have known before
Trump came aboard, their personalities have changed. They have turned mean spirited like Trump. If Trump lost the election he might not vacate; wouldn't trust the results. He is one character. Too bad he came along in my life time. His backers I would estimate at roughly 40% do not care what he does or says, they will continue to vote for him. It will do no good to impeach (charge) him. The Senate would not convict and so stated. I see no one on the democratic side running against Trump who could beat him and even so, the vote does not elect him. It is what that Electoral College thinks of him in the final analysis. What I fear is he will ruin the country more with his careless trade policies. Anlother thing, if much heat is put on him, he
may start aother war somewhere so democrats will have something more to talk about besides him. The Montaford situation is merely another episode. A constitutional crisis is in the making as he does not recognize the Congress as having the power or authority the executive branch has and will asked the conservative Supreme Court to back him. At heart he is a dictator and is trying to destroy the constitutional government. His backers think that is okay. And the republican senate agrees mostly but has not acted cwhen they don't.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 11 May 2019, 13:10

Sad to see that Hawkeye. There seemed to be some hope towards Elizabeth Warren's chances of becoming President. Following Trump's attacks on her indigenous background,she seems to have dropped off the radar.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 May 2019, 13:32

My faith is in Sanders. He should have been the contender last time.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 May 2019, 18:59

Two more to watch:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... pends.html

Tulsi Gabbard : https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 68c333b9cc

The Electoral College was originally meant to solve the problem of different size populations in each State all having equal weight. Meant to make things fairer, but they've gone wrong somehow.

If the present catastrophe can be solved, a better voting system might be implemented. Our preference voting can be a pain, but sure is better than US system. In fact it is already used there in some areas.
As of 2019, seven states contained cities that had implemented RCV in municipal elections.
Another three states contained cities that had adopted but not yet implemented RCV in municipal elections.
https://ballotpedia.org/Ranked-choice_voting_(RCV)
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 May 2019, 20:47

We have a similar issue. Our federal senate has the same number of members for each state, regardless of population size. Tiny Tasmania has as many senators as NSW, yet it has just over half a million people compared to NSW's 8 million, a ratio of 1:16.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 May 2019, 09:06

Perrorist wrote:
11 May 2019, 13:32
My faith is in Sanders. He should have been the contender last time.
Noam Chomsky: "The most remarkable thing about the last election was actually Bernie Sanders not Trump"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUBbjE-B6qL/
I dream, therefore I am.