Border wars

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Border wars

Post by kfchugo » 21 May 2020, 19:29

The current bickering between state Premiers is a sad indictment of Australian politics. There are no medical grounds for the closure of state borders and the Chief Medical Officer of Australia has never recommended such. As I understand it, State Medical Officers all sit on a panel (even those recommending border closure) yet that panel has also failed to recommend the closures. Their argument is that many cases in their state have come from NSW or Victoria - what a surprise. These two states are truly the gateway to Australia and many returning Aussies (either on air travel, cruise ships etc) have entered our country through Sydney or Melbourne and then gone on to other states.
The Virus in Australia is largely under control and the predicted overwhelming of or medical and hospital systems has not eventuated. Small cluster outbreaks all over the continent are expected and planned for.
State Premiers insisting on maintaining border closures are decidedly un-Australian and have little basis for that decision. I believe that their decisions (especially QLD) is politically motivated. There is an obvious solution - WAR. NSW and Victoria need to annex the other states, do away with the level of state government and truly unite the country. Just a suggestion, but NSW and Victoria should wear blue uniforms and the rest should be in grey. \:D/

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Border wars

Post by Buck_naked » 21 May 2020, 21:01

is opening borders really gonna boost anything?
58% of the workforce are on either jobseeker or jobkeeper.

People are going to be mostly too broke or too nervous to go travelling.
planes ,trains , buses , lifts in tall building are gonna be petri dishes for disease.

So many travellers seem to have it.
Grey nomads are gonna be as welcome as 'Bob Browns green convoy in Queensland.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 21 May 2020, 23:05

Buck, anyone with a dollar in their pocket will be welcome EVERYWHERE. Sure, there are plenty who are doing it tough right now, but also lots who are not..... and are anxious to holiday and spend. Open the borers and the recovery will begin..... many will regain employment and the planes will be in the air again, at least domestically.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 May 2020, 08:41

The problem for the premiers is that if the restrictions are lifted and an outbreak occurs in their state caused by someone from another state, they'll be held accountable. The push to ease restrictions ahead of time prioritises money over people. On the other hand, if the states' CMOs see no reason to retain closed borders, then open them up.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 May 2020, 09:51

If we are determined to save/resurrect our old financial system, we have to open bordersand get back to 'normal' asap. But 'normal' was already letting us down, and in the future would more so, with computers, robots, artificial intelligence, increasingly taking jobs away. We can't immediately change to a system that solves the problem, but do need to look to more social welfare and how to achieve it, while restoring some of the worn out system Let's get the borders open as soon as safe, but not before.
I dream, therefore I am.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 22 May 2020, 14:46

Lots of people are talking about getting back to normal,but,what is normal,NOW.

With the expected increase in air fares,when the planes do get back in the air,I will be in no hurry. My wife refuses to drive over to WA again,so we will just have to wait to see our grandkids over there. We do have Zoom though.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 May 2020, 16:19

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 22 May 2020, 18:46

:heeheehee :heeheehee That dog never misses a trick.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 May 2020, 08:03

Given that it takes about two weeks or even longer to display symptoms of the virus, we won't know the consequences of easing restrictions for another week or so.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 May 2020, 09:29

A second and worse wave is expected, with mutations happening and cold weather coming.
video near 15 minutes, but worth the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGghR1nmeQU
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 May 2020, 11:04

If that builder should catch a variant, I reckon he'll be a goner.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 23 May 2020, 14:11

What are people seeing on the streets around their area?
I went shopping yesterday, could not even get into the local shopping center park, -it was chocka bloc full with a queue waiting to get in.
Ok, i thought, i'll try Bunnings.
Nope, same, full of cars.
I have never seen it so busy, not even at Xmas.
If this is what i recession looks like, it's a pretty strange recession.
Just sayin'.....

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 May 2020, 16:52

I've not ventured past the local post office. It's not in a shopping centre so I have no idea what's going on.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 23 May 2020, 17:01

I went to a local Westfield today.... very busy, albeit not crowded. Nobody wearing masks, but most seem to be careful about social distancing. On that subject, I think most family groups from the same household dont see the need for social distancing which is sensible...... maybe that is why some are complaining that people are ignoring it. Obviously, some are but it may well be that family groups are mistakenly being vilified?

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 23 May 2020, 18:41

Tourism and border closures No reason why it should be disastrous - why not start advertising to encourage all Australians to embrace the tourism potential of their own states...there are plenty of places to go without ever crossing a state border, revisit old faves, go bush, go further out, check out our islands, plan a rail journey, plan to visit every beach along your coastline, do a mystery trip on the spin of a compass dial or the throw of a dice ..... make every day an adventure and get to know your own state. As for Queenslanders ... its beautiful one day and perfect the next .... go check it out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u7ikqVhuKs
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/