Recession approaching?

Post by Perrorist »

Time is running out...

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Recession approaching?

Post by mavisbramston »

It may well happen.
We do at last have a better Government at the helm.
I know the coalition claim they are the great economic managers. They are not.
Liberals often site how well they handle the economy. The ALP is hopeless at blowing their own trumpet. So I will.
Lets give an example.
Libs gloat about how the economy improved after they sacked Whitlam. The ecoomy did indeed improve.
Only one thing. The country was still operating under a Hayden Labor budget. Fact checked!
Another fact …Swan and Rudd led us through a global econmomic crisis. We were the envy of the world.
Of course Curtin led Australia with compassion and economic wisdom.
It is well worth researching how badly the Liberals served us.
Of course there were ms that by cutting welfare and the arts and environment the so called debt improved. Hell a monkey could do that.
YOU DO NOT RUN A COUNTRY LIKE A BUSINESS.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 20 Sep 2022, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Loveto read other opinions on this.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Mavis, while I'm in sympathy with all you're saying, many people just don't understand how that could be. Regardless of our beliefs I think it helps to read an article such as Perry has linked - ("BE CAREFUL! This Is Serious..." - Robert Kiyosaki's Last WARNING). Then we can understand how and why certain economic factors can come into play.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

While I don't subscribe to the fantasy that the LNP are better financial managers than Labor, I have to say that Labor still falls short on economic matters. Keating took Labor into the same neoliberal universe as occupied by the LNP, with its adherence to privatisation and smaller government.

The problem is that everything political these days is now couched in monetary terms instead of what's good for the nation. We're faced with appalling homelessness, lower wages, huge differential in wealth, and dreadful consequences for our survival on this planet, and yet the message isn't getting through to where it can be effective. (Example: Look at how Labor won't put a stop to new fossil fuel projects. It approved a new expansion just a couple of days ago. Pathetic.)
Time is running out...

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Although 4 months old, this is interesting reading, looking at both past and future.
https://theconversation.com/australias- ... tes-184058
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

The right goes for austerity while the left borrows from the future to maintain buoyancy. I prefer the left's approach. At least the less well-off don't have to pay the price of belt-tightening.
Time is running out...

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo »

There is little doubt that with few exceptions, the countries of the world are suffering economic hardship and Australia is no exception. Whether or not we enter a technical recession (two or more consecutive quarters of negative growth), we Aussies are suffering. Rising prices, wage stagnation, supply chain disruptions, rising national debt and overall poor consumer confidence etc.
It looks like a recession.... it feels like a recession..... maybe we are already in recession but its just not "technical"? :teary

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Wonderful reading your wonderful posts.
We have sold so much off and the stupidity of privatising everything has destroyed a constant source of revenue.
We were told telstra etc would be more effective.
Really? :lol:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

The business cycle of capitalism swings between recession and inflation.
It repeats, occasionally falling into depression which is too severe to climb out of easily and can last for years.

So if recessions are normal, do they have a silver lining? This article talks of 'reputed consolations.' https://www.investopedia.com/articles/e ... ssions.asp

Lots more here - https://prepp.in/news/e-492-business-cy ... Conclusion
by scrolling down to 'Other Relevant Links'
I dream, therefore I am.