Climate Change V2000.....?

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Climate Change V2000.....?

Post by Perrorist » 26 Dec 2017, 10:54

High cost, high risk solutions aren't what we need when there are low cost measures available that would have a long term, beneficial effect.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 26 Dec 2017, 11:21

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 01 Jan 2018, 10:25

I watched a Canadian made documentary last night that opened my eyes to the advances in technology that is being used to monitor the earth from various perspectives. There are numerous satellites constantly buzzing around the planet and they are monitoring the temperature of the oceans and the daily fluctuations of atmospheric oxygen and carbon dioxide and the earth turns on its axis. They can even measure the amount of dust from the Sahara that is blown away and is washed down onto the Amazon by tropical rain.

I can't remember half of it but it was on SBS so I may just take another look on iView.

The one thing I did absorb is that the earth is one big interconnected system with mechanisms to balance temperatures, particularly ocean temperatures. For example, the recent hurricanes that caused so much havoc in America and Puerto Rico formed because the Atlantic Ocean surface temperature rose to 26oC. This caused a massive shift of energy to the atmosphere in the form of water vapour and the updraft was powerful enough to produce the massive low pressure system which then moved west as a hurricane or super storm. The ocean surface temperature then dropped 4 degrees Celsius and balance was restored, at least temporarily, but at great cost to humans living in the path of the cyclones.

There is another mechanism that is much slower that involves the Antarctic. As Ice forms each Winter around Antarctica a lot of super chilled brine pours downward to the ocean depths and gradually moves northward along the sea bottom as a cold current. This cold water eventually surfaces in the northern hemisphere where it serves to bring balance by cooling the surface layers. It also produces an upwelling of nutriments from the ocean floor which feed the plankton and eventually the rich fisheries that humans depend on for much of our food, not to mention whales and sea birds and a whole lot of other creatures.

If the Winter production of Antarctic sea ice diminishes there will be not be an immediate effect but eventually there will be severe consequences around the globe much more serious than mere rise in sea level.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Jan 2018, 11:37

It's very complex, which is why it's always been difficult to state with any degree of accuracy how things will turn out. Nevertheless, the trend is towards catastrophe and our leaders remain complacent in the face of the threat's severity. As for Trump, the less said the better.