How Murdoch writes headlines

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

How Murdoch writes headlines

Post by Perrorist » 02 Oct 2017, 06:44

From THE NEW YORKER:
… more interesting, a headline changes the way people read an article and the way they remember it. The headline frames the rest of the experience. A headline can tell you what kind of article you’re about to read—news, opinion, research, LOLcats—and it sets the tone for what follows.
Psychologists have long known that first impressions really do matter—what we see, hear, feel, or experience in our first encounter with something colors how we process the rest of it. Articles are no exception. And just as people can manage the impression that they make through their choice of attire, so, too, can the crafting of the headline subtly shift the perception of the text that follows. By drawing attention to certain details or facts, a headline can affect what existing knowledge is activated in your head. By its choice of phrasing, a headline can influence your mindset as you read so that you later recall details that coincide with what you were expecting.

(As reported by AIMN.)

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: How Murdoch writes headlines

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Oct 2017, 19:13

:flaming_mad
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Oct 2017, 20:25

Headlines are, by their nature, designed to grab our attention to induce us to buy the publication - I dont see Murdoch as being any better or worse in that regard. Does anyone seriously believe that Murdoch himself actually writes any headlines these days?

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 02 Oct 2017, 20:34

'Purple Reign '(daily telegraph today) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Oct 2017, 20:41

kfchugo wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 20:25
Headlines are, by their nature, designed to grab our attention to induce us to buy the publication - I dont see Murdoch as being any better or worse in that regard. Does anyone seriously believe that Murdoch himself actually writes any headlines these days?
News Limited journos are Murdoch's stooges. They wouldn't write anything that didn't suit his agenda. It's one thing to create a headline that's click-bait, quite another to colour the information that follows.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Oct 2017, 22:45

kfchugo wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 20:25
No, but his empire is well schooled. His opposition should know all the tricks and do the same - probably do - but don't reach his numerous readers/listeners, who can't help being swayed.
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 03 Oct 2017, 13:41

Hugo, art thou referring to Sheep ba ba ba with your reference to swayed.

Ba ba ba ba. :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 03 Oct 2017, 15:30

I am certainly no fan of Murdoch and I do believe that he uses his media empire to try to sway public opinion to his own benefit. I do think however, that it smells a little of paranoia to think of him as some master manipulator holding strings to every one of his media outlets and journalist employees. There are lots of "Murdochs" in the world in different fields of endeavor - all working tirelessly to accumulate more wealth than they can possibly need and trying to influence world events. Mudoch is certainly one such, but only one of many and not (in my opinion) Satan incarnate.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Oct 2017, 16:22

There are other media proprietors who control the political stance of their newspapers and other outlets, but he's the only one I know of who acts with such complete disregard for objectivity. Any ex-News Limited journalist will tell you that you won't get anything printed if the editor-in-chief thinks it's not in line with what Murdoch wants. If you don't believe me, buy a copy of every newspaper printed across Australia from the Murdoch stable on the same day. They will all have the same political views, spout the same nonsense about climate change, and think same-sex marriage should be resisted.

Did you know the government gave Murdoch $30 million of taxpayers' money a couple of months ago and refused to say why? Point blank refused.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Oct 2017, 19:47

One party seeing red is the ABC, which has in recent years been forced to dramatically curtail its women's sport coverage since large funding cuts passed down by then-comms minister Malcolm Turnbull in 2014. Giving the ABC more funding for women's sport was a Labor policy at the last election, but alas, the money's gone to Foxtel, and more specifically to Fox Sports, which is wholly owned by News Corp.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/th ... z4uQtlIrdt
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Oct 2017, 20:04

I see that News Limited has seen the writing on the wall and switched its stance from No to Yes on the SSM postal ballot (Media Watch last night).