Use of Chemical or biological weapons

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Use of Chemical or biological weapons

Post by kfchugo » 10 Apr 2018, 16:18

I see that the U.S. is promising a swift and effective military response for the Chlorine gas attack by the Syrian government on its own people. Obviously there is some concern that this might embroil the Russians. Considering the damage he has done to his own country and its people, I would think that a suitable response might be a missile attack on the Assad residence. Should the dictator be at home tending his daffodils at the time of such an attack ......so much the BETTER! :flaming_mad

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Use of Chemical or biological weapons

Post by Perrorist » 10 Apr 2018, 18:22

Trouble is, the evidence is suspect. As also with the nerve gas attack on the Russian and his daughter. From what I've read of international politics, you can't trust anybody. Remember the weapons of mass destruction claim that was used to justify invading Iraq, when all the time it was to secure the oil supplies for the likes of Esso and Shell.

History will reveal all, but only after it's too late to do anything about it.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Apr 2018, 06:50

Reported this morning in the New Daily:

"The Syrian government has invited the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons to send a team to investigate allegations of a chemical attack in Douma, state media reported."

Strange request for a guilty party to make. Russia also asked for, and were denied, evidence of the nerve gas attack.

Here's the full article:
Chemical weapons experts will travel to the Syrian town of Douma to investigate an alleged poison gas attack as US President Donald Trump cancels his trip to a international summit to ponder his response.

The Syrian government has invited the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons to send a team to investigate allegations of a chemical attack in Douma, state media reported.

The suspected chemical weapons attack late on Saturday killed at least 60 people, with more than 1000 injured at several sites in Douma, a town near the capital, Damascus, according to the Union of Medical Care Organisations.

The Syrian medical aid group is partly funded by Western governments and operates in opposition areas.

The White House said Mr Trump will miss an upcoming summit in South America and remain in the US to “oversee the American response to Syria and to monitor developments around the world”.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement on Wednesday morning (AEDT) that the President will not attend the Summit of the Americas in Lima, Peru or travel to Bogota, Colombia as planned.

Vice President Mike Pence will travel in his place. The summit is scheduled to begin on April 13.

Mr Trump said Monday he would “forcefully” respond to an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria and would soon decide how.

France and Britain were also discussing with the Trump administration how to respond to the incident. Both also stressed that who was to blame still needed to be confirmed.

The Syrian government and its ally Russia have denied involvement in any chemical attack.

“Syria is keen on co-operating with the OPCW to uncover the truth behind the allegations that some western sides have been advertising to justify their aggressive intentions,” state news agency SANA said on Tuesday, quoting an official source in the foreign ministry.

On Monday, Russia and Syria both offered during the UN Security Council meeting to take OPCW investigators to Douma. In Tuesday’s statement, the government said it was ready to offer all assistance needed for the mission to fulfil its task.

It also called on the mission to operate “in a full transparent manner and to rely on solid and credible evidence”, the statement cited by state media added.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Apr 2018, 09:28

It will be interesting to see what "hard evidence" comes from any investigation. Both Russia and Syria have a track record of lying about their illegal activities and I would assume that they will accuse the west or the "rebels" of conducting this attack in order to discredit the regime. Using chemical weapons against their own population is horrendous enough, why would they then hesitate to lie about it?
Syria and then Russia have excused their murderous activities by first claiming they were fighting terrorist insurgents (ISIS), then they claimed they were fighting rebels. The simple fact is that the conflict in Syria has always been a civil war with the people trying to rid themselves of a murderous and repressive dictatorship. Assad seems willing to destroy his country and his people rather than give up power.
The United Nations has yet again shown itself to be a toothless tiger with any sanctions against Syria simply vetoed by Russia.It is worth noting also that one of the biggest users of their veto in the U.N. is America. How can that organisation get anything done when several of the larger member counties have the power of veto - there is no democracy or concensus possible when nations with vested interests can override the wishes of the majority.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Apr 2018, 12:19

That's the biggest failure of the UN: the Security Council members and their power of veto. We need something more democratic, but power is never ceded willingly.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Apr 2018, 13:02

I see the U.N.has been considering a motion for an independent investigation of the gas attack in Syria....... what a surprise - Russia vetoed it!

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Apr 2018, 14:55

Syrian gas attack is a reminder of the weapons of mass destruction lie

BTW, Russia wants UN weapons inspectors rather than UN-appointed investigators. I don't know why it sees the latter as unsatisfactory. There's more to this than meets the eye.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Apr 2018, 15:33

It is interesting that both Russia and Syria are denying any responsibility. Additionally, they say the gas attack never took place and there is no evidence. Now they veto an independent investigation. It is ludicrous to send in weapons inspectors as they would not have the expertise to locate and identify chemical residues....... or, perhaps THAT is the whole idea?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Apr 2018, 15:44

kfchugo wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 09:28
Both Russia and Syria have a track record of lying about their illegal activities . . . .
So does the West! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Apr 2018, 16:04

The key finding was that while most Arabs outside Syria feel the president should resign, attitudes in the country are different. Some 55% of Syrians want Assad to stay, motivated by fear of civil war – a spectre that is not theoretical as it is for those who live outside Syria's borders. What is less good news for the Assad regime is that the poll also found that half the Syrians who accept him staying in power believe he must usher in free elections in the near future. Assad claims he is about to do that, a point he has repeated in his latest speeches. But it is vital that he publishes the election law as soon as possible, permits political parties and makes a commitment to allow independent monitors to watch the poll.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... propaganda
The sense that there is no alternative to Assad is, of course, not just restricted to Syria itself. In the last few weeks, a chorus of the opposition’s former backers has urged it to come to terms with Assad’s continued rule. Saudi Arabia, a prominent backer of the armed opposition, summoned rebel negotiators to tell them to find a new strategy, and British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson finally admittedthat forcing Assad to quit as a precursor to peace talks was unrealistic.
But growing acceptance that Assad will remain does not mean that the Syrian president has won over his people or his country. A section of Syrians is making a quiet pact with themselves to wait for another day to assert their political beliefs. For now, the priority is peace.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/19/syr ... president/
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Apr 2018, 19:31

Syrians must decide if they want peace......or peace at ANY price.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Apr 2018, 19:38

The trouble is intervention opens the door to worse. :twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Apr 2018, 21:31

I dont know that it can get much worse......the whole country is a rubble wasteland. I dont know what (if any) infrastructure exists outside Damascus. The term "humanitarian crisis" doesnt seem to do it justice.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Apr 2018, 16:12

America needs a war if they are to be held responsible for reconstruction afterwards, which means lots of dollars for the firms that get the contracts! That and the profit their armaments suppliers make. What American government cares about their country? Their interest is to help the rich get richer, so to support the regime in thanks. :twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Apr 2018, 16:18

kfchugo wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 21:31
I dont know that it can get much worse......the whole country is a rubble wasteland. I dont know what (if any) infrastructure exists outside Damascus. The term "humanitarian crisis" doesnt seem to do it justice.
You are right, Hugo. I actually meant worse government, not worse conditions. That's what they want, peace with it's better living conditions, regardless of government. To sort that out down the track when some normality is restored. But America needs war, asap. :angry-devil:
I dream, therefore I am.