Administrator

Re: Use of Chemical or biological weapons

Post by Perrorist » 12 Apr 2018, 17:59

Another possible explanation? Trump's sudden anti-Russia switch

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Apr 2018, 18:08

John Bolton is known for anger issues, verbal abuse, hating the UN, and helping President Bush invade Iraq — now he's in charge of U.S. national security – Narrated by Steven Boyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-6eS4TLGY

So worth watching. How many more are like this man?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Apr 2018, 18:29

Highly disturbing.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Apr 2018, 20:38

It's all about oil. This was reported by a number of news agencies and outlets about 18 months ago:
“Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link. In 2009, according to WikiLeaks, soon after Bashar Assad rejected the Qatar pipeline, the CIA began funding opposition groups in Syria.”

— Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Why the Arabs don’t want us in Syria, Politico
Also
“The $10 billion, 1,500km pipeline through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and Turkey….would have linked Qatar directly to European energy markets via distribution terminals in Turkey… The Qatar/Turkey pipeline would have given the Sunni Kingdoms of the Persian Gulf decisive domination of world natural gas markets and strengthen Qatar, America’s closest ally in the Arab world. ….

In 2009, Assad announced that he would refuse to sign the agreement to allow the pipeline to run through Syria “to protect the interests of our Russian ally….

Assad further enraged the Gulf’s Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian approved “Islamic pipeline” running from Iran’s side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shia Iran instead of Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran’s influence in the Mid-East and the world…”

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Apr 2018, 20:25

Hear what the former Ambassador to Syria thinks of all this:

https://www.facebook.com/martynhdawson/ ... 304710507/

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Apr 2018, 21:02

Oil is indeed still important. So is water. With climate change and increasing world populations, deserts are growing, people are moving. Resources of any sort are more and more governing the economics of the world, and the already wealthy are in a rush to acquire as many as possible. Who cares at what human cost. I think we have a great deal more to worry about than the aberration of Trump.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Apr 2018, 00:37

It was a 7-year drought that led to the unrest in Syria. Rural folk flooding into cities, causing overcrowding, civil strife, etc.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Apr 2018, 13:38

So rather than wait for the OPCW to carry out an independent investigation into the supposed chemical warfare attack, the US, UK, and France — all with major oil interests in the region — have launched air strikes against Syria.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Apr 2018, 17:34

Is your local water supply under Halliburton? Mine is.
Halliburton has been operating in Australia and Oceania for over 50 years and now has 16 operations bases and offices across the area supporting our clients both onshore and offshore. Widely recognized throughout the oil and gas industry for our technical capability, competent employees and excellent HSE performance, we supply a full range of well construction, project management and pipeline services to our many clients.
http://www.halliburton.com/en-US/locati ... lasia.page

Back in 2005 -
Headed by Dick Cheney, the US Vice-President, before he joined the White House, Halliburton holds about $US10 billion ($12.7 billion) worth of defence contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan, making it by far the biggest corporate winner in Bush's war on terrorism.
https://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/A- ... 95449.html
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Apr 2018, 20:03

George W Bush once said something along the lines of "don't send a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." He was referring to strikes that don't result in any change. This latest attack could end up the same way.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Apr 2018, 21:09

I recall that in his heyday, Gadaffi in Libya was so paranoid about a U.S. strike that he was living in tents and moving to a new location every day. I think the yanks eventually bombed his "palace in the sand" but he was not home at the time. The near miss prompted him to change his ways and embrace the west.
Maybe a little "missile diplomacy" might also work with Assad? \:D/

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Apr 2018, 21:47

I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Apr 2018, 05:50

The West, and the US in particular, has an unenviable record in toppling governments and rulers. They even had a go at Whitlam.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Apr 2018, 06:20

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Apr 2018, 18:53

From what many political observers are saying, it would appear that the west has virtually conceded that Assad has (with Russian help) won the civil war in Syria. There seems no appetite for further military or political involvement and Assad is now free to continue killing his rebelling populace at will (so long as he doesn't use chemical weapons). The threat of war with Russia has overcome all other considerations. What a sad world we live in and the U.N. has again proven itself to be totally ineffective.