Government is in disarray

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Government is in disarray

Post by Warrigal » 21 Aug 2018, 10:08

Turnbull declared the leadership open and was challenged by Dutton.
Dutton lost but had 35 supporters. Turnbull had 48.
Dutton headed to the back bench but it remains to see whether any front bench or junior ministers will do the same.

Business leaders this morning complaining about uncertainty about policies, especially energy.
The Catholic church is campaigning against the government over school funding.

If these weren't enough signs of a government in trouble Anthony Green has observed that the government will lose seats in Queensland and WA but hard to see them picking up seats in other states.

The Turnbull government is mortally wounded and there is no saviour anywhere in sight. Not even the drover's dog.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Government is in disarray

Post by kfchugo » 21 Aug 2018, 10:57

Politics in Australia is now in the toilet. Blind freddie can see that the overriding consideration of just about ALL of our politicians is their own self interests and ambitions with no regard for the good of the country. This is completely deplorable when you consider that we PAY THEM to act in our best interests. :teary

Leonie

Post by Leonie » 21 Aug 2018, 11:22

I find the whole political scene at the moment too depressing to even bother, where once I was really interested in it. And I'm not Robinson Crusoe, the only vote count that is rising in elections these days is the informal vote.

A couple of right-wing friends are saying they are going to refuse to vote at the next election, not even vote informal, just flat out refuse. One says that if he does get the fine, he will contest it, saying that if they want his vote they should be giving him someone (anyone) who he would really like to vote for, not just pick the best of the worst. He knows he will probably still have to pay the fine but considers it worth it, to make his point to the party.

My first thought was, good, more votes for the left, but on second thought ... is the left really any better?

When even the party faithful are considering not voting (and are willing to cop the fine) what does that say for the country. It's so sad.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 21 Aug 2018, 12:08

We should all vote for Jacinda Ardern :lol: Now there is a lady who could teach our mob a thing or two about leadership with one hand tied behind her back - or in her case nursing a baby.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 21 Aug 2018, 16:28

NO government has gone full term with the same Prime minister since John Howard.
We are getting like a third world country, none of the R/soles elected (all Parties) work for our country,
they just fight for their own benefit, THAT IS TO KEEP THEIR POSITION AS LONG AS THEY CAN!!
I'm fed up with all the crap, on powerr we should be doing what the rest of the world is doing & that is
Build half a dozen NEW COAL POWERED, stations & back it up with reusable ( solar & wind power)
not the other way round! :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :yeah_right

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 21 Aug 2018, 17:18

Why does it have to be coal? The group running Liddell is proposing to make the change to gas.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 21 Aug 2018, 18:34

Leonie wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:22
A couple of right-wing friends are saying they are going to refuse to vote at the next election, not even vote informal, just flat out refuse. One says that if he does get the fine, he will contest it, saying that if they want his vote they should be giving him someone (anyone) who he would really like to vote for, not just pick the best of the worst. He knows he will probably still have to pay the fine but considers it worth it, to make his point to the party.
The laws you must turn up to vote, not vote. Once your name is crossed off the list, you're in the clear.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Aug 2018, 19:41

Perhaps a lot of the problem is our oppositional type of government. The opposition is there to oppose, regardless of whether they secretly agree or not. You have to follow the party line. Really wish we could get minor parties up, or some really decent independents.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Aug 2018, 12:34

So they've taken an early mark. Hardly time off for good behaviour. When they return in three weeks we'll have a new PM. Bookies think it's likely to be Morrison, but you can't rule out a third challenger, such as Bishop, deciding to throw their hat into the ring, as it looks unlikely she'll be deputy leader for the fourth time.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 23 Aug 2018, 12:49

Perrorist wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 12:34
So they've taken an early mark. Hardly time off for good behaviour. When they return in three weeks we'll have a new PM. Bookies think it's likely to be Morrison, but you can't rule out a third challenger, such as Bishop, deciding to throw their hat into the ring, as it looks unlikely she'll be deputy leader for the fourth time.
Whether Julie is deputy leader or not doesn't worry me at all but I do think she had been commendable as Foreign Minister. I also like Marise Payne as Defence Minister. I actually get a buzz when I see these two straight talking women representing Australia on the international stage.

I reckon we won't see this team in operation from now on. :sad:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 23 Aug 2018, 14:29

I believe that this could be appropriate for today : https://archiearchive.wordpress.com/201 ... ys-to-god/

:thumbs_up:
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Aug 2018, 14:33

Agree about Bishop and Payne. It looks like Turnbull is either calling Dutton's bluff about numbers or he's giving Morrison chance to do some canvassing.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Aug 2018, 14:35

Slapsy, I received a warning from my browser antivirus program about that site, so I wasn't able to see it.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Aug 2018, 17:38

Bishop's joined the contest and the bookies have already made her favourite!

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 23 Aug 2018, 18:14

If they do elect her it will be yet another example of only turning to a female captain when the ship is about to sink.