Jacinda, I love you

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Jacinda, I love you

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2018, 08:19

How I wish she was our prime minister... Excerpts from Jacinda Ardern's speech at the UN

lynny
Diamond Member

Re: Jacinda, I love you

Post by lynny » 29 Sep 2018, 08:32

What a breath of fresh political air she is!
Yesterday I watched her appearance on the US Stephen Colbert show where she admitted auditioning for Lord of the Rings. :lol: it's worth watching.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 29 Sep 2018, 10:30

Yes, I have to admit that I love her too, but then I also loved Helen Clarke and Julia Gillard.

Not so Maggie Thatcher. I disliked her intensely for what she did to Britain's coal miners. That was brutal.

Theresa May I am indifferent about but I do admire her resolve to steer the ship that others have brought perilously close to dangerous shoals. She has a fortitude that I can salute.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Sep 2018, 11:08

Theresa May has inherited the toughest gig in the world.
I am not a fan but admire her her gutsy style.
I agree regarding Helen Clark and of course Jacinda is a breath of fresh air.
Not so Julia Gillard. I hated the sexist way she was treated but Rudd was brilliant. The way he was treated was disgusting.
Some say it was because he was too demanding of his staff and arrogant....give me a break. That sounds like EVERY director I worked for in my theatre days...male and female. The homophobic Gillard was cruel and a real disappointment. I voted Greens .
I thought she was going to be great...unmarried, atheist..alas she disappointed her believers. She was Labors Turnbull.
Of course they all pale into insignificance when compared to Canadas golden boy

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 29 Sep 2018, 17:20

Could someone please explain to me what there is to admire about turnaround May.........Theresa May campaigned to remain in the E.U. and she should never had taken on the role of Prime Minister when Cameron resigned after the result of the referendum...when May called for a snap general election the result was a hung parliament and so she paid the DUP to back the Conservatives so that she could lead Parliament.

I belong to a U.K. forum where even the hard faced leavers are thinking that May should resign and leave the Brexit negotiations to someone that knows what they are doing.

By the way I am a remainer and proud of it. :icon_biggrin:
A rose by any other name...............

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2018, 18:11

I'm no admirer of May, either, though I recognise her determination and fortitude. Gillard was badly treated by Abbott - Mr Negative - but she wasn't homophobic. She was privately in favour of same-sex marriage -- even though, as a feminist, she didn't agree with marriage as an institution -- but she was afraid to upset the homophobes in her party. In the public ballot she voted Yes.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Sep 2018, 20:45

Jacinda I hope is setting a style other politicians will envy and copy, when they realise the popularity of it. Unfortunately although popularity wins votes it doesn't count too much with the financial supporters of a party!

I was an admirer of both Gillard and Rudd. They both had faults, as you would expect, but perhaps those faults could have been dealt with in a more reasonable way within their party.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2018, 21:15

Divisions within parties seem to have become more pronounced, or perhaps they get more publicity now. I remember when the Greens had very little in the way of factions, but they have definitely manifested themselves in the past year or so. It's interesting to see how Labor is keeping a lid on their internal divisions. I expect if they get into government next May they'll become more obvious.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 02 Oct 2018, 08:59

Betty wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 17:20
Could someone please explain to me what there is to admire about turnaround May.........Theresa May campaigned to remain in the E.U. and she should never had taken on the role of Prime Minister when Cameron resigned after the result of the referendum...when May called for a snap general election the result was a hung parliament and so she paid the DUP to back the Conservatives so that she could lead Parliament.

I belong to a U.K. forum where even the hard faced leavers are thinking that May should resign and leave the Brexit negotiations to someone that knows what they are doing.

By the way I am a remainer and proud of it. :icon_biggrin:

Thats telling us Betty. From a Betty fan from way back :happy-sunshine:

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 02 Oct 2018, 13:29

Thankyou Mavis. :icon_biggrin:
A rose by any other name...............