Islam - religion of peace, love and tolerance

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Islam - religion of peace, love and tolerance

Post by kfchugo » 08 Nov 2018, 13:21

For those who believe in the thread title, just look at what is happening in Pakistan. A young Christian woman involved in an altercation about drinking from a cup spoke a few words in anger. She supposedly insulted the "prophet", long dead and completely oblivious to such insults. Now, even though acquitted by the courts, Islamists are still demanding her execution. Moreover, they are petitioning the courts to bar her from leaving Pakistan, supposedly so they can get at her some time in the future. It seems that eight years in prison on "death row" is not sufficient to atone for these few words spoken in anger.
These primitive zealots have no place in the modern world, nor does the draconian dogma of this religion. For example, rejecting Islam and converting to another religion carries the death penalty. Until the leaders and Imams of Islam can get their act together and reform the religion and drag it into the 21st century, It simply cannot be afforded respect nor taken seriously as a religion - much as I hate to quote Tony Abbott, it really is a "death cult".

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Islam - religion of peace, love and tolerance

Post by Perrorist » 08 Nov 2018, 14:59

It's not Islam but tribalism that gives rise to this behaviour. It's so easy, and there's plenty of evidence of Christians doing it too, to use scripture to justify extremism. I wish there was something Australia could do to help this unfortunate woman, but I can't imagine anyone in our government having the lease interest in the matter.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Nov 2018, 20:32

Jesus was a Jew, there was no such thing as Christianity in his lifetime. The introduction of Islam was in order to concentrate on the teachings of Jesus rather than other Jewish sects. It included peace, love and tolerance. When speaking of Jesus, Muslims always add the words "Peace be unto him". (or pbuh.) They regard him, not Muhammad, as the last true prophet, and Muhammad as God's messenger.

It is true some Muslims don't really know much about Islam. It is true some Christians don't really know much about Christianity. It is true that there are many followers of the teachings of Jesus who do not regard him as a particular Son of God, but as someone worthy of reverence.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/18/10660648 ... tmas-quran
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Nov 2018, 20:46

In my experience, the more uneducated tend to favour literalism. It's simpler to understand.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 15 Nov 2018, 16:17

Dreamweaver wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 20:32
Jesus was a Jew, there was no such thing as Christianity in his lifetime. The introduction of Islam was in order to concentrate on the teachings of Jesus rather than other Jewish sects. It included peace, love and tolerance. When speaking of Jesus, Muslims always add the words "Peace be unto him". (or pbuh.) They regard him, not Muhammad, as the last true prophet, and Muhammad as God's messenger.

It is true some Muslims don't really know much about Islam. It is true some Christians don't really know much about Christianity. It is true that there are many followers of the teachings of Jesus who do not regard him as a particular Son of God, but as someone worthy of reverence.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/18/10660648 ... tmas-quran
DW Islam was founded in 610 A D by Muhammad in Mecca,he claimed to be the prophet of Allah who revealed the Koran
Also worth noting is the qur'anic statements with regards to the Christian Trinity. It writes that those who believe in God as triune &Jesus as God, are unbelievers & belong to hell(Christians) Q5:17,73:9:29-30;66:9
DW In Genesis chapter 1,the first book of the Bible (The Old Testament) Jesus is there. The plurality of persons in the Godhead,Father,Son and Holy Ghost

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Nov 2018, 16:21

Jesus is not mentioned in Genesis.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Nov 2018, 19:27

Perrorist wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 16:21
Jesus is not mentioned in Genesis.
Not under the name "Jesus', but there are those who say "this refers to him" or "that refers to him." It is pointless to trade scriptural interpretations, as there are those who take the words literally, those who see deeper meaning, those who believe the 'fallible' writers' own beliefs coloured the divine message, those who believe there are errors in translation, those who believe there were later insertions added to justify beliefs, and so on. It is pointless because "one convinced against their will is of the same opinion still."
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 15 Nov 2018, 19:28

No the name Jesus is not mentioned. He is there, one of the Holy Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Nov 2018, 20:04

Teddy wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 16:17
DW Islam was founded in 610 A D by Muhammad in Mecca,he claimed to be the prophet of Allah who revealed the Koran
Also worth noting is the qur'anic statements with regards to the Christian Trinity. It writes that those who believe in God as triune &Jesus as God, are unbelievers & belong to hell(Christians) Q5:17,73:9:29-30;66:9
DW In Genesis chapter 1,the first book of the Bible (The Old Testament) Jesus is there. The plurality of persons in the Godhead,Father,Son and Holy Ghost
My apologies Teddy, Muhammad was indeed considered as the last prophet by Muslims, I was quoting some particular Muslim friends, but as I said before not all know a great deal, and sects do differ.

Did you get to read https://www.vox.com/2017/12/18/10660648 ... tmas-quran ?
Another link you might like is in wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Nov 2018, 20:45

Teddy wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 19:28
No the name Jesus is not mentioned. He is there, one of the Holy Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
There's no mention of the Trinity either. That's a New Testament concept. It's best to think of the Old Testament as a collection of chronicles describing the history of the tribes of Israel, whereas the New Testament provides the origin and dissemination of the Christian message.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 16 Nov 2018, 20:20

The word Trinity does not occur in the New or Old Testament. It describes the oneness of God, the Father, Son & Holy Spirit However it can be discerned in the Old Testament
At creation, the words "in the beginning God created the heavens & earth, followed by "the Spirit of God hovering over the Waters" Genesis 1-1-2,indicate a Trinity at work. Later when creating man, "Let, us make man in our image"
Isaiah wrote of the declarations of Yahweh,the Sovereign Lord ch 40-50 & in verses 48-16 we read' "And now The Sovereign Lord has sent me with His Spirit"
In Messianic prophecy quoted by Jesus himself, we read, "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me" These & others indicate a Trinity.
If we want to know Christ, it is to the Bible we must turn. For the Bible is God's own portrait of Christ.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Nov 2018, 20:44

That is quite a stretch of interpretation, Teddy - still, you are entitled to your opinion. The BIG problem with ALL religions these days is the firmly entrenched beliefs of some who then look to vague or obscure biblical or historical references to validate their already established beliefs. Sensible people believe as they choose and leave others to do likewise but unfortunately there are the zealous few who would kill those of us who fail to share there beliefs.
I do respect the faith and beliefs of others even while I dont share them.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Nov 2018, 21:27

:good_one

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Nov 2018, 22:07

But that's not all! There's more! (Isn't that what the salesman says?) In that language there are two words for us, (or we.) One means 'the two of us'. The other means 'the three or more of us.' There can be some very interesting arguments springing from this, but I don't believe religion should be a point of argument. God (whoever or what ever that is) is supposed to be all-wise, all-powerful and everywhere present, yet give us free will to grow, learn, mature - as a parent would a child. And therefor would surely make provision for differing concepts, different cultures, different beliefs and understandings. I would not want to change anyone's belief unless our 'God-given' global sense of good and bad, the universal acceptance of treating others with the respect we would wish for ourselves, is in anyway negated.
I dream, therefore I am.