Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Your predictions

Post by mavisbramston » 02 May 2019, 10:42

Its only a few days to go.
What are your election . PREDICTIONS. ?
I dont mean what you want but what you think will happen.
This is one time I hope I am wrong. I predicted Trump and Brexit. Oh dear! So heres goes.
What I want is ALP In a landslide.
Derryn Hinch has surprised me. He will be safe.

Prediction.
A safe Liberal win. ( sorry but people do hot answer surveys truthfully) Theres an elephant in the room.
The Greens sadly will be gone. There might be a surprising result for Fraser Anning, his vote sadly will increase enormously. Increase vote for One Nation.

NOW IF i Am Wrong... bring on the champers.

I think I am getting gloomy. :happy-sunshine:

Love to know some of your predictions.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Your predictions

Post by kfchugo » 02 May 2019, 11:02

Much as I detest the thought of a Shorten Prime Minister, I think that the mood for change is growing in momentum. I think the election will be close but the next government will be Labor. Now as for what I WISH..... is for Tony Abbot to be kicked out of Parliament and consigned to the scrap heap of history. Hopefully, some more independents will get in to shake up the "establishment".
The Liberals have shot themselves in the foot so many times in recent years, they can hardly have any toes left - they deserve to go, not that I expect Labor to be much better.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 May 2019, 12:44

Definitely Labor will win - unless something devastatingly bad for Labor occurs in the next week or so - though by how much is anyone's guess. Yes, Abbott has to go, though I suspect he'll scrape in. The Greens may lose a seat in the Senate, and Adam Bandt has an uphill struggle to hold on to his Reps seat, but don't write the Greens off yet, their membership is rising. Lots of young people like the Greens stance on global warming.

The biggest problem with this election - apart from lacking any pizazz - is the overwhelming negative reporting by the mainstream media, especially the Murdoch press, about Labor and its policies. Only the Guardian seems willing to try for a more balanced approach. Self-interest is the culprit.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 02 May 2019, 13:27

I am biased,of course,but it is Labor for me by a comfortable majority. I believe that the general public has woken up to the lies being told,by the conservatives,about the retirement tax (franking credits). Also,many people that I speak to do not believe that a first home buyer should be subsidising the rented property next door.
Sorry Mavis,but I think you must have been on that funny green stuff. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 May 2019, 22:28

I've heard it said that governments aren't voted in, they're voted out. A party does not so much win, as the opposing party loses. The backlash to a party in power helps the opposition, so all the opposition needs to do is sit back and wait for the one in power to shoot itself in the foot. So if we had just two parties I think we could easily predict this, but minor parties are getting more attention than ever before. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 07 May 2019, 09:40

Its sure going to be interesting. I think Shorten on Q and A was outstanding.
I still dont have much faith in Australians (after what they did to Gough I never will). I hope I am wrong but I will stick to my responses. Perrorist, Dream and Kf hugo thank you for your comments. :happy-sunshine:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 07 May 2019, 13:45

Just for a bit of interest,here are the latest TAB odds for the coming election :

Australian Federal Politics
Australian Federal Election
1 Market
Aust Fed Election WnrSat 18 May 18:00Party that provides PM at swearing in
Labor
Coalition
Australian Conservatives
Greens
One Nation

I am a social punter,and I have a rule to never back odds on. In any 2 horse race the odds difference is always close,unless one of the horses is named Winx.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 10 May 2019, 19:59

Labor (renamed WINX) for me.......no doubts!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 May 2019, 17:02

Did you vote pre-poll/postal or wait for the fateful day? We voted pre-poll.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 May 2019, 08:30

Well it seems yet again I got it right , well pretty close, I can assure you I am not celebrating.
I am not sure what Derryn Hinch’s position. I am not a fan but I was pleasantly surprised how progressive he was on issues like marriage equality.
I am however we still have the Greens.
It is time to finally go into a proper alliance.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 19 May 2019, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 May 2019, 10:07

Dreamweaver wrote:
02 May 2019, 22:28
I've heard it said that governments aren't voted in, they're voted out. A party does not so much win, as the opposing party loses. The backlash to a party in power helps the opposition, so all the opposition needs to do is sit back and wait for the one in power to shoot itself in the foot. So if we had just two parties I think we could easily predict this, but minor parties are getting more attention than ever before. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
I got that wrong, didn't I? :lol:
Albanese got it right when he said "We must never make the mistake of hoping to slide into government off the back of our opponents' failures."
Good to see Greens' increase, and Clive Palmer's huge spend become money down the drain! And Anning out. =D=
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 May 2019, 12:48

It was as well we got some good news given the dreadful result.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 19 May 2019, 13:05

STUNNED
......and dejected, disappointed, depressed, dumped!

Where did Australia go wrong?
How come only the Warringah voters got it right?

What didn't we see that affected Labor so badly?

I'll demand a re-vote!!!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 19 May 2019, 14:18

D623BOmXsAAxzsA.jpg
This sort of sums it up. It appears that most of the media,are now asking questions of the lnp,that should have been asked weeks ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 19 May 2019, 16:01

My grandaughter, first time voter, was SO angry this morning! I feel for her and the children of this country. I hope they keep protesting.

I'm beyond disappointed......