Your predictions

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Your predictions

Post by Perrorist » 19 May 2019, 16:21

The LNP, backed by a rabidly biased Murdoch media, targeted retirees with extraordinary lies about their income under Labor.

At least the Greens improved their share of the vote right around the country, and with a bit of luck we'll get the balance of power in the Senate.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 May 2019, 16:44

I will never again donate a cracker to the drought stricken climate denying farmers of Queensland.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 21 May 2019, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 19 May 2019, 18:54

I think very few would have predicted this outcome - especially in light of the recent polls. At least we got rid of Abbot and I would have liked to see Peter Dutton go as well, but I suppose we cant have everything. I recall that after the Rudd/Gillard fiasco, the Labor party conducted a poll of its members as to who should lead......it was between Shorten and Albenese - Albenese easily won, so naturally, the "powers that be" within Labor gave the job to Shorten - serves them right. Shorten was never a popular choice in the electorate.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 May 2019, 20:55

Sportsbet, who should know their business, were so sure of a Labour win that they paid out $1.3 million 2 days before the election, to those who backed Labour. Now they have to pay out nearly 3 times that much to the LNP backers. Apparently they were sure Shorten would be successful by doing little other than letting the LNP destroy itself. If they couldn't get it right, we shouldn't expect to!
https://www.smh.com.au/federal-election ... 51oy1.html
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 20 May 2019, 09:53

Perrorist wrote: ↑
19 May 2019, 16:21
At least the Greens improved their share of the vote right around the country, and with a bit of luck we'll get the balance of power in the Senate.
I was wondering how your daughter is feeling Perri ?

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 20 May 2019, 10:48

Yes, I also tried to find her, without success Lynny,so we'll have to wait 'til her dad tells us. :icon_biggrin:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 May 2019, 10:50

I've not spoken to her, but I spoke to one of our candidates and she was completely devastated. Abigail would be pleased, as I am, that her friend Mehreen Faruqi managed to retain her Senate spot. Mehreen is warm-hearted, smart, and a hard worker.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 May 2019, 10:51

Teddy wrote: ↑
20 May 2019, 10:48
Yes, I also tried to find her, without success Lynny,so we'll have to wait 'til her dad tells us. :icon_biggrin:
Abigail Boyd is in the NSW upper house.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 May 2019, 11:01

She posted this on Facebook:
It was another tough election result on the weekend and I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed. But unlike many others, I don't see the result as a set-back for progressive politics. What I see in the figures is real cause for hope.

🌏 The only party with a real plan to tackle climate change and rescue our environment, including a just transition away from coal to 100% renewables by 2030, increased its vote in every state and returned all of its Senators.

πŸ›‘ The only party to actively and unequivocally oppose the Adani coal mine increased its vote in Queensland by almost 5%.

πŸ’š The only party offering a compassionate response to the refugee crisis, the only party who would close Manus and Nauru, increased its vote for Sarah Hanson-Young in SA by almost 6% and Nick McKim in Tas by over 1%.

πŸ‘©β€πŸŽ“ The only party to focus on free quality public education from early childhood to TAFE and university, and with a credible plan for affordable housing, increased its vote in NSW by 2%.

♿️ The only party providing a voice for those falling through the gaps in the NDIS, the only party willing to direct significant government funding to public healthcare, increased its vote in WA by over 2%.

🌈 The only party who have consistently supported the LGBQTIA community, marriage equality and Safe Schools, increased its vote in Vic by 1%.

Across the nation, more people voted for progressive values in this election. They've had enough of tinkering around the edges - they want real change and politicians who can't be bought by the big end of town.

Change doesn't happen as quickly as we would like, and it doesn't happen by itself. The increase in the Greens vote is down to the hard work of members and supporters every day of the year. It's hard work, but it's making a difference.

Show up, speak up and never give up. πŸ’ͺ

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 20 May 2019, 13:47

It has been reported that the nationals received 4.9% of the votes,and won 4 seats. The Greens won 10.1% and won 1 seat. Why don't they have a greater presence in the outer fringes,and country areas. In the Wollongong area the Greens are only seen when the elections come around.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 May 2019, 15:36

Thanks for that feedback, Slapsy. I'll pass it on to the relevant parties.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 20 May 2019, 16:14

Sorry Perry but my first figures are wrong. They did not include the Qld voting. It should read : Greens 10.0% = 1 seat ...... nationals 8.4% = 23 seats.
Either way,it appears obvious that the Greens are targeting the wrong electorates. The nationals continue to get a free hit,every election,out on the fringes.

This is interesting :
D66AHbAV4AAQufu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 May 2019, 17:34

I sent your comment to the Illawara Greens. If I get a reply, I'll let you know what they say.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 May 2019, 21:47

Dreamweaver wrote: ↑
19 May 2019, 20:55
Sportsbet, who should know their business, were so sure of a Labour win that they paid out $1.3 million 2 days before the election, to those who backed Labour. Now they have to pay out nearly 3 times that much to the LNP backers. Apparently they were sure Shorten would be successful by doing little other than letting the LNP destroy itself. If they couldn't get it right, we shouldn't expect to!
https://www.smh.com.au/federal-election ... 51oy1.html
Clive Palmer says Scott Morrison can thank UAP's anti-Labor ads for result. He spent a fortune on ads that interrupted every video I saw during the campaign. I wonder if it was his own money, or if it was from someone just using him. Adani? But the ads were mainly a scare campaign that Labor was going to hit us all hard with taxation!

Also, if this was the case they would have to have influenced people during the last few days of the campaign, to achieve such a change from the pre-poll results. That's obviously not so, as the exit polls show the same results as the pre-polls!

I don't think exit-polls have ever been wrong. I'm beginning to think conspiracy theories. :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 May 2019, 21:59

I have moved this topic to the political section. Please continue it there. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.