National anthem

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

National anthem

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Sep 2018, 18:45

Funny how you change your mind.
First I thought how dare you show such disrespect for our national anthem, The kid was put up for it, Pauline was right. She is brainwashed. Kick her up the bum.
We were brought up on God save the Queen.
I love Advance Australia Fair.
But the more I thought about the little girl has a very valid point.
She is also gutsy.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: National anthem

Post by Warrigal » 14 Sep 2018, 19:26

And she is nine years old. Why is this an issue of national importance?
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Sep 2018, 20:58

Fair comes from Middle English fayr, feir, fager, from Old English fæġer (“fair, lovely, beautiful; pleasant, agreeable; attractive”), from Proto-Germanic *fagraz (“suitable, fitting, nice”), from Proto-Indo-European *peh₂ḱ- (“to fasten, place”).
So it didn't always mean blond haired or light skinned, and I'm happy for Australia to be fair. Especially as it can also apply to fair treatment of others.
But I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for confusion, least of all a child.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Sep 2018, 21:01

An element in society attaches great importance, bordering on reverance, to nationalistic symbols. The flag, the national day, and the national anthem are deemed to be beyond criticism, yet the flag changes (it's different to the one that flew at federation), Australia Day has been celebrated at different times of the year, and the national anthem changed following a referendum (I voted for Waltzing Matilda). As a child in Britain, I, along with other kids, memorised and sang Waltzing Matilda during music lessons.

We stood for the anthem (God Save the King, and eventally Queen), but in the cinema where it was played at the end of the evening, many people, my family included, simply headed for the exit.

The anthem is just a national song. Its words could be changed (the current ones don't apply anyway) and it would still be a song. The tune is pedestrian and hardly fitting for a young country such as ours, which despite all that currently ails us, is still full of enthusiasm and hope.

Given the perilous state of children still on Nauru, whose plight they constantly ignore, the critics picking on a principled nine-year-old clearly lack any semblence of proportion or humanity.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Sep 2018, 21:06

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 14 Sep 2018, 23:06

I watched an interview with Harper & her Father & one question that wasn't asked was,
whether the Father would refuse to stand for the Anthem, seeing he did have some input
into his daughters refusal to stand! :oops :yeah_right

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Sep 2018, 00:09

Perhaps some of us might remember the ABC series Redfern Now. One episode featured an Aboriginal scholarship boy who refused to stand for the National Anthem and faced expulsion from his prestigious private school. His parents argued for him and urged him to stand, but the school only changed its mind when other students remained seated in solidarity.

Is this what we want? Kids facing serious sanctions over a very small protest? Do we want to make martyrs of them and have a breakout of civil disobedience in school auditoriums all around the country?

Whatever we may feel personally about national symbols, let's keep our cool and not insist that everyone else must feel, or pretend to feel, the same emotions.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Sep 2018, 07:03

Parents do affect their children's opinions, but that's only a problem if they're encouraged to see one view only. I encouraged both of mine to look at issues from all sides as best they could before making up their minds, and they would then have to be able to explain their reasoning. It's served them both well.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Sep 2018, 12:53

Exceptionally gifted children can be very idealistic. It is entirely possible that this nine year old girl has heard the family discussing racism and Aboriginality and decided to make her own protest because she feels strongly about unfair treatment of some people.

My eldest grandson is highly intelligent and as a very young boy he would hear something on the news and become very disturbed by it. He also read a lot, and I mean A LOT.

At one stage he was very upset because he believed that all of the trees were about to die. He was genuinely upset and had to be led to a more realistic point of view. Later he became distressed at the plight of indigenous people. He was upset because he felt powerless to do anything. It was the same with the trees. He wanted to take action but was too young.

In the case of indigenous issues I made him his own Aboriginal flag night shirt to wear to bed as a sign of his support. This made him happy at the time and stopped him obsessing about it.

A little girl makes a symbolic gesture at school assembly. Has anyone thought that she might be genuinely concerned about something important that she is as yet powerless to do anything about? Her parents are supporting her but that does not mean that they are pulling her strings.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Sep 2018, 16:59

Perrorist wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 21:06
An alternative anthem? https://www.facebook.com/aimementoring/ ... 479074345/
=D=
My support. I've reposted on fb.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Sep 2018, 20:46

Warrigal wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 12:53
A little girl makes a symbolic gesture at school assembly. Has anyone thought that she might be genuinely concerned about something important that she is as yet powerless to do anything about? Her parents are supporting her but that does not mean that they are pulling her strings.
Exactly.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Sep 2018, 21:41

My grandson is 8 years old and still has trouble tying his shoe laces. I cant believe that we are taking seriously the behavior of someone a year older than that. Come on folks - how much of this "storm in a tea cup" is actually coming from the kid and how much from the parents?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Sep 2018, 23:03

My grandchildren vary greatly in the types of intelligence they show. This bloke reckons there are nine different types - In 1983 an American developmental psychologist Howard Gardener described 9 types of intelligence
:https://blog.adioma.com/9-types-of-inte ... fographic/

Naturalist (nature smart)
Musical (sound smart)
Logical-mathematical (number/reasoning smart)
Existential (life smart)
Interpersonal (people smart)
Bodily-kinesthetic (body smart)
Linguistic (word smart)
Intra-personal (self smart)
Spatial (picture smart)

What other scientists thought were just soft-skills, such as interpersonal skills, Gardener realized were types of intelligence. It makes sense. Just as being a math whiz gives you the ability to understand the world, so does being “people smart” give you the same ability, just from a different perspective. Not knowing math you may not calculate the rate at which the universe is expanding, but you are likely to have the skills to find the right person who will.
As they mature they are developing a wider spread, but one of my own never did. I used to say he would have to find brain work to do, as he was so inept physically. He's still the same now in his 50s, like the typical absent minded professor!
:lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 16 Sep 2018, 09:46

kfchugo wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 21:41
Come on folks - how much of this "storm in a tea cup" is actually coming from the kid and how much from the parents?
Not long ago this story would have made local news. Now it makes local then national then global news plus being twittered,facebooked and instagrammed to death.
So who is actually pulling the strings?

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 16 Sep 2018, 10:00

An excellent question, Lynny.