More elected representatives replaced by the state

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

More elected representatives replaced by the state

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 May 2020, 11:33

HOW LIBERAL & LABOR CORRUPT THE PLANNING SYSTEM
Elected councillors replaced by state's 'local planning panel'
> News: Central Coast councillors will vote on Monday, May 11, on a State Government directive to implement a local planning panel (LPP) to decide on development applications... the local planning policy shifted the powers of councillors to make local decisions on behalf of residents into the hands of a ‘selected’ panel.
> SAP: Stripping elected representatives of planning authority and putting it into the hands of an UNELECTED property industry panel is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house. Thoughts? 🤔
ARTICLE: https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/centr ... ing-panel/

Is town planning better off in the hands of experts or locals? Opinions, please!
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: More elected representatives replaced by the state

Post by grandduke » 16 May 2020, 16:16

Arising out of the pandemic is the success of the national cabinet made up of state and territory preniers and the chief minister of the NT,
https://independentaustralia.net/politi ... form,13899
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 16 May 2020, 16:20

What i was not aware of was this.
Preferential voting must be replaced with a NZ-style mixed-member proportional representation (MMP) to ensure broader parliamentary representation. I’m no fan of the Greens, but it is not correct that they win ten per cent of the vote but gain only one seat in our 150 seat lower house. Conversely, the Nationals win an even lower proportion of the vote yet hold a dozen seats. It’s simply undemocratic. 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 May 2020, 18:26

I'm fully with you on this, GD.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 May 2020, 21:55

God knows, I would not like to see the American "electoral college" system here, but our preferential system is seriously flawed. ANY ELECTION should be on the basis of "first past the post".

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 17 May 2020, 16:10

I do not see anything wrong with preferential voting. We have compulsory voting,so every vote should count towards forming a government. People do not have to vote for the major parties,but their vote will indicate which side they prefer.
The electoral college system,as far as I am aware,is only used for the Presidential election. Until we become a republic we have nothing to worry about. Hopefully,we can find a better way to find a President.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 May 2020, 18:06

I would like to see a President here not belong to a political party, but be nominated by agreement from the full parliament. A bit like the GG at present, with added safe-guards.
I dream, therefore I am.