Climate Council

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Climate Council

Post by Dreamweaver »

I received a message a few days ago, from the now unfunded Climate Council. Here is an extractin Tim Flannery's words
This morning, our federal Environment Minister went on ABC radio and claimed that Australia’s carbon emissions peaked a decade ago.

This statement is, my friends, as we said in our media release ‘pure Fantasyland’. Emissions are going up, not down.

Problem is, politicians like Mr Hunt have become very adept at using accounting tricks to cover up their climate policy failure. And it’s all very believable if there’s no one around to hold them accountable.

We need the truth to be heard over a loud and dangerous fiction: can you chip in a few dollars to the Climate Council today?

Make no mistake, Australia’s emissions are still rising (unlike Europe or the United States, whose emissions have genuinely peaked). We’re capturing some of that rising pollution by planting trees and so forth – hence the accounting trick – but that’s not a solution in and of itself. It certainly doesn’t replace reducing emissions in the first place.

And the Earth is getting dangerously hot. New data released yesterday revealed that global temperatures surged in the last two months to temperature targets we didn’t expect to breach until 2100. February 2016 was Earth’s hottest February since records began in 1880. Australia’s role in this is real: emissions from our electricity sector, the largest source of emissions, climbed 3 per cent in 2014-15.

The latest independent analysis shows Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions are rising, and will continue to rise well beyond 2020 unless there’s a dramatic turn around. In fact, right now our emissions growth rate is projected to be one of the worst in the developed world.

It’s shameful to deceive the public by claiming otherwise. So I’m spending the coming days giving media interviews while my colleagues are putting out the facts online and in the press. And together, we’ll do what the government have tried to stop us – and others – from doing. We’ll hold them accountable to the truth.

Our dedicated Climate Council community have pushed back on the misinformation merchants before - and won. It might not always seem like a fair fight, but when dedicated and passionate supporters like you come together, anything is possible.
He also adds that the coral bleaching threat to the Great Barrier Reef is also expected to be upgraded in the coming days. And says that there’s never been a more important time to fight fiction with fact.

Donations can be made to the Climate Council asap, and you can also keep up with them on Facebook.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Climate Council

Post by Dreamweaver »

Here is some interesting reading - an excerpt from Marian Wilkinson’s new book, ‘The Carbon Club’

https://www.smh.com.au/national/you-bas ... e-67382085
I dream, therefore I am.