Lock down

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Re: Lock down

Post by Mahalia »

We have been sailing in uncharted waters and I for one think that our leaders have overall done a good job in handling this terrible virus that has been unleashed upon the world. Not a perfect job, granted there have been errors made for sure and some quite catastrophic, but who amongst us, given the immense pressure and lack of prior knowledge, could have done better?

One thing is for sure and that is that we will have to learn to live with it but if we can follow directions, get vaccinated, and continue to monitor our hygiene, wear masks when advised to do so etc etc. we will return to a degree of normalcy in time and life will continue to go on.

According to my cousins in the UK this is where they are at now. They still have Covid, people still getting sick and being hospitalized but fewer and fewer requiring to be ventilated or needing ICU - the hospitals are coping, they are learning to live with it and carrying on as per normal, but taking it under advisement day by day.

We have done the same with Aids, Flu, Polio, Measles, EBola, and doubtless we will do the same with Covid - but if we want to avoid further lockdowns and the damage to our economy we have to pull together and stand united to protect our country, not be constantly at each other's throats like dogs fighting over a bone.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo »

While I do have some sympathy for our political leaders with regard to their handling of the Covid pandemic, I think that they could have done a far better job. Their actions and comments are heavily laden with political bias and often reek of self interest and "buck passing". They carp on about following the "best medical advice", yet they often backflip and seem befuddled by changes in infection numbers. We really dont see any concerted plan and it is hard to organise our lives from one day to the next with sudden lockdowns now a possibility at any time. Morrisons "grand plan" forward out of the pandemic is a joke with several state premiers now reneging on their commitment to it and refusing to open their borders until they feel satisfied that it is safe to do so.
We see movie stars, football players etc routinely exempted from lockdown conditions, yet numerous cases of genuine emergency, hardship or compassionate imperative are flatly denied. Like the swallowed shilling, this too shall pass, but it is hard to imagine when or how this might be accomplished. :teary

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I agree with the 'opposites' in both Mahalia's and Hugo's stance, seeing both sides of the dilemma. I see the main problem as being politics. When you are elected by a majority (though questionable!) to represent them, you are obliged to do so. When voting, these people looked at your party policy and decided what was in their own best interests. When events turn to make the voter reconsider that, there seems to be no allowance for that, and your party follows an out of date policy. Yet each politician is doing what they think is best! Democracy should be more fine-tuned than that.
8-[
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal »

There is the inevitable tension between being a representative and being a leader.
In the midst of a crisis leadership it what is required.
Responsible, and well informed, leadership.
"Great powers do what they wish; the rest of us do what we can"
Geoff Raby, former Australian Ambassador to China.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal »

Warrigal wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:33
There is the inevitable tension between being a representative and being a leader.
In the midst of a crisis leadership is what is required.
Responsible, and well informed, leadership.
"Great powers do what they wish; the rest of us do what we can"
Geoff Raby, former Australian Ambassador to China.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Is this the answer?
The Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance aims to transform democracies to become more inclusive and sensitive to good reasons. It is globally recognized for its research excellence, interdisciplinary collaboration, and culture of mutual support.
https://www.governanceinstitute.edu.au/ ... governance
I dream, therefore I am.