Republic?

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Republic?

Post by Perrorist »

This is the point I was making: "In comparative terms the Irish presidency is essentially a weak office. Presidents have very few constitutional powers of which to avail and so limited are these powers that a president has essentially no room for independent action." Of course, that doesn't stop the office from having a platform. I especially admired Mary Robinson as President. https://first100years.org.uk/mary-robin ... cy-forever.
Time is running out...

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Certainly sounds good. And Mary Robinson is much to be admired.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Dreamweaver wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 16:09
Perhaps the question should be more about what sort of democracy do we want, rather than what sort of republic. If it's a democracy that is consultative rather than not, if we can be sure that the public are well informed and can use their own voice, does it matter if it's a republic, or similar to our present system? We are not 'ruled' by our monarchs - although I was disheartened to hear recent pledges of 'obedience' to Charles!
I think dream nails it pretty well. Lets face it there was a well orchestrated love for the Queen. Charles will never achieve that I wanted Gough as President but that is not to be.
Do we really
need a President?
Surely we have courts to settle disputes.
Kerr did not do much to protect a democratically elected Government.
I would like us to stay in the Commonwealth and like indigenous people I think there is no issue in recognising our British roots in some way.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I agree that it's nice to have a ceremonial figure as our representative, someone we can admire without political baggage. But it should be someone born here, I do think. We have more and more Australians who have no British roots.

I would be happy with the Irish model. I don't care whether it's labeled a republic, as long as its basis is consultative rather than just representational.
The primary positions of power within a republic are attained through democracy or a mix of democracy with oligarchy or autocracy rather than being unalterably occupied by any given family lineage or group. With modern republicanism, it has become the opposing form of government to a monarchy and therefore a modern republic has no monarch as head of state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic
I dream, therefore I am.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

I just watched the Jack Charles episode of,Who Do You Think I Am. He must have been the closest person we had to a King. What is wrong with appointing one of the many distinguished indigenous people as our Head of State. Even better,let the indigenous people decide who that will be.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Here are some interesting thoughts on a republic from one of our better known republicans,Thomas Kennealy.
https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/new ... n-movement
He seems to be suggesting,at the end of his article,that we should just be patient.
I do hope that nice man, amiable conversationalist and modern Briton King Charles III hastens the day when our sovereignty is not 17,000 kilometres offshore but instead resides in one of us. Charles is now being advised to be a non-person, a man of no edges, and I doubt that’s in him. It was in his tough mum, but she came to it much earlier in life. Now, if he helps bring on our day – by messing up, by saying what he truly believes about the Rwanda offshoring of refugees or global heating – then God bless him, King of the Britons!
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Yes, Thomas Kennealy sounds on the ball
https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/new ... n-movement
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I'm not into the 'blame game' as some are, despite the damage done by empires, not just the British, in the past. Their leaders and their peoples were born into a time when what they were doing was seen as being for the best. Caring for and educating (or brainwashing) the 'uncivilised' was the white man's burden, a duty and a thing to be honoured.

And of course there is so much about civilisation that is good, has brought us or is bringing us to a better understanding. Change is happening, and we are part of it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-18/ ... c_news_web
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Now that the ex-monarch has been interred, I suspect that people will start questioning whether Charles is an adequate replacement. I can't see him getting the same affection as Liz.
Time is running out...

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo »

I think that the move to a republic is simply a natural progression for Australia and Charles certainly does not enjoy the respect or affection shown to his mother. I dont think it will come as a surprise to the British people or the royal family and we can still maintain close ties and relationships with "mother England". I have long held the view that we should change our flag - the union jack makes us seem to be a branch office of the U.K.
I dont see any burning rush to make the transition and Labors policy of leaving the question of a republic until their second term in office (if they have one) seems reasonable and prudent to me.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Often people cannot tell the difference between the New Zealand flag and ours.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »