A universal basic income

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: A universal basic income

Post by Buck_naked » 29 May 2017, 15:43

Yep, and not just pensioners involved in mattress stuffing.
drug dealers, tax cheats too.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-19/a ... ys/7181054

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 29 May 2017, 16:02

lynny wrote:
29 May 2017, 15:07
Didn't I read somewhere that they wanted the big notes out of circulation because pensioners tended to hoard them under the matress so that they could pay tradies in cash?

I know I do! :lol:
:good_one

Yeah !... so does Buck !

He had so much loot stashed under his mattress, it finally wore out. That's why he had to replace it recently ! :heeheehee
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Jun 2017, 13:52

I can understand this opinion of Andrew Leigh's. It will undoubtedly cause such problems, if it's introduced in such a way. Will cause problems anyway, I suppose. But what we. the world, must do is look further down the track, of how to work through and around those problems. Some generations, perhaps? Although trials are springing up in various parts of the world right now. Scary times. 8-[

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/04/21/un ... ible-idea/
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 27 Dec 2017, 21:05

I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 28 Dec 2017, 08:39

Good, simple explanation of the pros and cons of UBI.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jun 2018, 22:17

More opinion. Your thoughts?
Utopia is not about giving away $1,000 to everyone,
it’s about finding social justice in a new kind of economy of a hybrid AI-human world.
It’s about the next stage of capitalism where the marketplace alone does not determine our fate.

https://medium.com/futuresin/the-future ... 272147d22c
I dream, therefore I am.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 04 Jun 2018, 09:01

I've said it before if you want to know what UBI would look like have a look at aboriginal communities.
Sit down money, mental health, drugs, violence, total destruction of the community.
Never.gonna.work. Just like communism tried to do the same thing. The model don't work
Ain't ever gonna work.
The best thing to happen to anyone is spend some time down struggle street to learn the value of a dollar.
Life is hard, then you die.
Finland ran a trial and dumped it.
If robots and algorithms have taken over all the jobs why is USA unemployment down to 3.9%? :character-oldtimer:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Jun 2018, 09:55

Buck I see from your comment that you have at least had a look at the article, but perhaps not enough to see the differences in this bloke's vision. Sure no attempt is going to get it right the first time. Finland saw where they were going wrong, and going to revise it, not give it up. It will take a long time, there is so much greed in the world. Culture has to change. As far as Aboriginal people are concerned, the ones you refer to don'r have the richness of opportunity to otherwise engage. But already there are many in employment who are happy with casual rates, many also on fixed rates but work only four days per week, which allows them time for doctor's appointments, house renovations, children's appointments, weddings, funerals etc. This suits the employer too, who can plan ahead instead of having to cope with unexpected 'sickies'.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/finland- ... -cancelled
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Jun 2018, 12:59

The Aboriginal circumstances are not relevant to this issue. What we do need is to see whether UBI experiments elsewhere succeed, and if they don't, to identify why.

The way the world is going at the moment, a lot of people will find themselves unable to work enough hours consistently to be able to survive without support. Those signs are already evident. Underemployment has been on an upward trend for the last 40 years and will continue to rise. Full-time jobs are difficult to find. The government's claim that one million jobs have been created ignores the fact that most of those are a result of increased population and more women entering the workforce. In reality, we're treading water, as is evidenced by the unemployment rate as high as it was when the government came into power.

A workable solution has to be found. If UBI isn't it, then we must rearrange the economy in a way that distributes the workload to all those seeking work. However, this is but part of a larger challenge: how to share around the benefits of increased productivity instead of allowing a privileged few to soak up the rewards.