A plea from Mavis

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: A plea from Mavis

Post by Buck_naked » 25 Oct 2017, 10:41

The horse has already bolted, -75% of the votes are in already

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 25 Oct 2017, 11:41

This has dragged on.
In many ways I envy those who are not affected by it. What a waste of money.
Everything Penny Wong and the Greens said would happen has happened but I never expected the hate against gay people to be so repugnant.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 25 Oct 2017, 14:06

Maybe its the community I live in, but I am not seeing "hate" against gay people at all. There has certainly been spirited debate and strong opinions on both sides. I also believe that there has been unfortunate smear campaigns run by both the Yes and No campaigns. Even those in my community that voted "No" are quite sympathetic to the gay community but feel their beliefs dictated a "No" vote. From my perspective (with notably few exceptions), the man in the street has been reasonable and reserved which is way more than can be said of our media and politicians. :character-oldtimer:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 25 Oct 2017, 14:51

kfchugo wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 14:06
Maybe its the community I live in, but I am not seeing "hate" against gay people at all. There has certainly been spirited debate and strong opinions on both sides. I also believe that there has been unfortunate smear campaigns run by both the Yes and No campaigns. Even those in my community that voted "No" are quite sympathetic to the gay community but feel their beliefs dictated a "No" vote. From my perspective (with notably few exceptions), the man in the street has been reasonable and reserved which is way more than can be said of our media and politicians. :character-oldtimer:
Kfchugo,could I also add the leaders,and spokespeople,for both sides,because none of them have come out of this with any credibility.
Speak to most people in the street,and all you get is indifference. Most don't care and will be glad when it is all over. Compared to what has been reported in the last 24 hours,this really is a minor issue.
It is good to see that so many people have participated,up to now,but could that be because most voting in Australia is compulsory. Judging by the results of the last two federal elections,there are a lot of uninformed people in this country.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Oct 2017, 10:32

Kfhugo I am glad that the discussions went well in your area and you did not see the hate we saw. The no campaign has waged a bitter and devious campaign full of red herrings and irrelevancies. They predictably threw in political correnctness and free speech. They claimed they were being harrassed by the terrible gay people and their families. I wonder how many of them were beaten in poofter bashings, sent to camps, tortured, came home to find a son or daughter had suicided.
Harrassed...crap.
I have been surprised the yes campaign remained calm. I could not have kept my cool as well as Magda in the Q and A debate. In some ways Madga let Oktel hang herself.
I find the claims that they are not homophobic insane ...we like gays but just dont feel gays can marry.....here take the consolation prize and shut up. Bit like saying thatthey have nothing against aborigines but dont want them living next door. Its a debate we should nt be having. I wonder how people here would feel if they were told they could not marry.
I hope ai live to see the day my son can have his marriage revognised. My son and his husband have two beautiful academically gifted kids.
MY SON AND HIS HUSBAND ARE MUCH BETTER PARENTS THAN ANY TWO PEOPLE I KNOW.
I would rather my grand kids be loved than grought up by the boys rather than the no brigade who teach nothing but hate.
I have even heard the no folk claim...kids of gay parents will be gay.
Guess what! No. My wife and I are straight indeed in the last few years we have met scoresof gay kids and NOT ONE had gay parents!
Last edited by mavisbramston on 26 Oct 2017, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 26 Oct 2017, 10:58

Mavis, I respect your opinions and even agree with most of them, but EXAGGERATION has been the hallmark of BOTH sides of this campaign....... quite frankly, I have lost respect for both camps and will be almightily glad when it is just all over.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Oct 2017, 11:33

As Samuel Becket says in Waiting for Godot.......that wasn’t a bad little canter.

To all the yes people thanks for putting up with me. I will take the advice of others and take a break.
Give you lovely folk a break too. :text-thankyou:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 26 Oct 2017, 12:59

Mavis, don't go away, the fight is not over until The Fat Lady Sings!

I mean it looks clean and cut as far as the YES campaign is concerned, but then again most Americans were confident that Hilary had won,
prior to the Lady singing!

In politics nothing is impossible because a little shove here and a little push there and results can change dramatically.

OMG, now I've scared the living daylights out of all you good mannered voters!

Never fear, Silver Peers are here!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 26 Oct 2017, 13:16

No matter what the result of this ridiculous survey is it will,forever,be one of many nooses Turnbull carries. :hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 26 Oct 2017, 14:55

Though the Yes vote will carry the day, there's no certainty that a bill will get voted on in Parliament this side of Xmas, given Abbott and his supporters' capacity for delaying tactics. I bet it will be forced into committee, where it will linger for who knows how long.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 26 Oct 2017, 17:43

I will never understand all this condemnation over consenting ADULTS to marry but these religious conservatives remain remarkably inactive almost silent about the sexual abuse of children.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Nov 2017, 12:24

Perrorist wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 14:55
Though the Yes vote will carry the day, there's no certainty that a bill will get voted on in Parliament this side of Xmas, given Abbott and his supporters' capacity for delaying tactics. I bet it will be forced into committee, where it will linger for who knows how long.
Seems I was right. The Right-Wing Nut Jobs will propose so many amendments to the bill, it'll be bogged down for months to come. Abbott also says the right-wing is fired up now to campaign on other issues close to the conservative heart.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Nov 2017, 22:06

Sorry Perro, every time I hear the word Abbott, I go into convulsions and need to throw up!
I don't believe that his mother ever changed his nappies! Uuuuggghhhh!

:eek :eek :eek
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Nov 2017, 06:18

He's the Voldemort of Aussie politics.