Australia Day

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Australia Day

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Aug 2017, 09:36

I wonder what others think.
Local councils here are wanting to change Australia Day to another day. Of course the anti PC brigade are using the same tired arguments like this is political correctness gone mad. Poor darlings cannot miss an opportunity to get their nickers in a knot about the terrible take over of Australia by multi culturalism and as always the evil PC.
While I am sympathetc to the arguments of our indigenous Australians who have every reason to be angry I have another reason for saying Australia Day is not that important.
Its a dud!
It has never taken off. The landing of a few poms and settling is a pretty lame reason for throwing a party. Its a day off work holiday...nothing more.
Australia day is a claytons day No great traditions. A barby and a few beers is hardly unique. They do it in Greece regularly. Theres no fantasy. No man in a white beard, no bunny rabbit.
The great day of national pride is celebrated by a populace who dont know the words to the national anthem nor could they identify the difference between Australia and New Zealand flag.
Lets find another day and develop a real sense of unique tradition.
The possibilities are endless.
Federation. The republic when it comes.
Even Ned Kellys makes more sense.
Anzac day has grown as a day of more significance.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Australia Day

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Aug 2017, 10:54

I just wanted to add that at a party recently when I criticised Australia Day someone said it was not appropiate and it was un Australian. Funny because I thought that was like the political correctness they are so opposed to. Free speech?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Aug 2017, 11:27

Why not celebrate Federation Day (1 January)? That's the real Australia Day.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Aug 2017, 12:04

Sounds too logical I think Perrorist. I totally agree and its so much more historically fascinating. The story of Federation is so interesting.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 16 Aug 2017, 14:25

I also agree with Federation Day,but,as others have said to me,what happens to New Years Day. Better now to wait until we are finally a republic,and make that our national day. We will probably get a new constitution too.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 16 Aug 2017, 18:55

Queen's Birthday will soon be vacant.
The Winter equinox would also be great.
The fireworks could be put on earlier that midnight.

And for Pet's sake make it a long weekend.
That's the most Australian thing I can think of.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Aug 2017, 19:33

I think that Australia day as we have it will always be divisive and I dont think as we have it it does not ignite any great spirit of nationalism.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 16 Aug 2017, 20:44

Australia Day is just another Holiday and means nothing to most of us, incl those who came from overseas to make this country what it is today!

Personally, I find it very awkward to celebrate on one day whilst other Australians are mourning. It just doesn't feel right to me.
I don't think Queens Birthday is an appropriate day either and rather suggest that NEW YEARS Day may be the best alternative.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Aug 2017, 20:46

It's not always been in January.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 17 Aug 2017, 20:45

Many nations have a "national day", usually in conjunction with a public holiday. It is in most places (and certainly should be in Australia) a day of celebration for all. A day to contemplate who we are as a people and what we have collectively achieved.
I think that our aboriginal brethren will always find fault, insult and reasons to be angry whatever day we choose to celebrate our nationhood.Whatever their grievances, anger, cries of "injustice", calls for a treaty etc., etc...... I believe it all boils down to one simple word......"COMPENSATION".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Aug 2017, 21:03

You're too cynical, Hugo. They have every right to complain -- they're the ones whose country was taken from them by foreigners. It would cost us nothing to switch from the day the country was invaded to one that's more inclusive of us as a nation. That's why I suggested Federation Day.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Aug 2017, 21:17

My thoughts too, Perry. The argument put back to me is that it is New Years Day. Is that an impediment? Or does it actually add more symbolism? If people worry about missing out on one public holiday, they can take them both then.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Aug 2017, 04:33

We could have another day of the year to compensate. Many of our public holidays are pointless. Easter is for the diminishing number of Christians and the Queens Birthday is for the few monarchists in our midst. We could substitute them with an extra long weekend around Feb/March for those who are still in work. We could call it the Making Australia Great Again Holiday.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 18 Aug 2017, 14:42

My birthdate is vacant. I would be prepared to make a patriotic speech and host a BBQ.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Aug 2017, 15:52

If it's anywhere between November and March, inclusive, I'll be happy to celebrate it with a long weekend.