Euthanasia

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Euthanasia

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Oct 2017, 08:50

The right to die...conscience vote in parliament
The right to marry who you love...cruel heartless divisive public stouch

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Euthanasia

Post by Perrorist » 19 Oct 2017, 08:55

Mavis, you'd better not read Lyle Shelton's latest comments.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Oct 2017, 09:07

I detest him. Really cannot add any more. I know you think I should respect his opinion but I have tried
Best I can do is in our current definition of democracy I accept his right to say it.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 19 Oct 2017, 16:22

Looks like you are halfway there then,Mavis. \:D/
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 19 Oct 2017, 17:17

Its weird that the alp premier of victoria is For euthanasia
But his deputy is Against it. what?
Back in the day the deputy would be sleeping with the fishes for that.
Trouble at the mill. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Oct 2017, 23:01

At least Lyle Shelton's not as rabid as some.
Straight people have trashed the institution of marriage, and gays and lesbians have been subjected to "hateful and hurtful" things by Christians, a Canberra audience heard on Wednesday.

The speaker was not a same-sex marriage advocate but Lyle Shelton, the face of the "no" campaign and managing director of the Australian Christian Lobby.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... ygegw.html

But the 'institution of marriage' being 'trashed' is a whole other subject that could well deserve questioning.

And a new 'stolen generation'? Children being separated from their biological parents will continue whether adopted by gay couples or straight.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Oct 2017, 23:31

The act of putting to death painlessly
or
allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from
an incurable, especially a painful, disease or condition.

from Greek euthanasia "an easy or happy death,"
from eu- "good" + thanatos "death"
Last year my family watched our beloved sister die slowly of Huntington's disease. After 12 years she was
no longer able to be tube fed and we had to watch her die slowly, 3 weeks it took and was horrendous.
It's horrible visiting a shell. Because thats what they are at the end.
I watched my mum die slowly. Not being able to speak, eat, couldnt even moisten her lips.
At the end, it wasn't her anymore. Just a body that sort of looked like her.
Wheres the humanity in that? Wheres the compassion?
If created with the right protections in place for vulnerable patients it could prevent so much suffering and misery.
But how can the right protections be determined?
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 20 Oct 2017, 07:56

I could never understand how we have no qualms in putting a sick or injured animal down to alleviate pain and suffering........
and yet humans cannot be afforded that same consideration.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 07:59

I suspect the opponents of assisted dying will do all they can to block it. Ihope it passes but not hopeful. Its good to be cautious and back it up with careful legislation. I do find it odd that we are kinder to animals.
Terra put t concisely and very well.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 20 Oct 2017, 09:07

The "die hards" who vehemently fight against voluntary euthenasia often recant on their own death beds......poetic justice, I say :lol:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 20 Oct 2017, 10:47

How many people would consider a dose of rat poison well in advance of being an incontinent vegetable in a nursing home?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Oct 2017, 11:38

Not rat poison, thank you Buck! But many do plan, be it just stopping their medication and going into a decline, or something more direct.
The thing is, people can change their minds. Most of us don't fear death, just the dying process - "Later, not just yet,' is a common thought. The chap in Europe who agreed to be the first head transplant case has changed his mind as the date approaches. I would like a trusted family member to make life and death decisions for me as I deteriorate.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Oct 2017, 11:59

I would tell my doctor I was having difficulty sleeping and stock up on the pills. Come the day, a glass or two of my favourite tipple to wash them down.

“To die, to sleep – to sleep, perchance to dream – ay, there's the rub, for in this sleep of death what dreams may come…”

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 20 Oct 2017, 13:36

I'm with you Perry ! :high_fives:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Oct 2017, 17:51

Victoria’s lower house of parliament has passed assisted dying legislation after a marathon debate that continued for four days. It clears the way for the bill to pass the upper house in two weeks’ time, where supporters of the bill believe they have the numbers to pass the law.

The debate on the government-sponsored bill began on Tuesday and continued past midnight each day. It culminated in a debate that began on 9.30am on Thursday morning and was still running by 11.15am Friday, when a conscience vote to pass the legislation was finally called.

Politicians debated each of the 141 clauses of the bill and proposed more than 300 amendments, each of which failed. Liberal and National MPs were accused of filibustering as the debate continued into Friday morning.

The bill passed to applause, 47 votes to 37, and the house adjourned at 11am.

Paul Keating doesn't agree, says assisted dying 'unacceptable'
The upper house MP Fiona Patten said she expected the bill to be introduced to the Legislative Council on Friday, which began sitting at 9.30am. That would clear the way for the bill to be debated in the upper house in two weeks’ time, where supporters are confident it has the numbers to pass.

The bill was developed over three years after a parliamentary inquiry that recommended the introduction of assisted dying laws. A ministerial taskforce headed by the former Australian Medical Association president Prof Brian Owler then worked through the details about how a law would operate. The report from the taskforce informed the bill.

The bill contains 68 safeguards and includes severe penalties for those abusing the scheme, including life in prison for any doctor found to have coerced or encouraged a patient to consider voluntary assisted dying.

Owler, who works as a neurosurgeon in Sydney, was in the Victorian parliament for much of the debate and told Guardian Australia he was “relieved”.

“I think the fact that it passed without amendment reflects the amount of effort and work that’s gone into developing the legislation,” he said.
“The health minister [Jill Hennessy] and the attorney general [Martin Pakula] did an outstanding job highlighting the reasons and rationale for various aspects of the bill and I look forward to having further debate in the Legislative Council.
“There’s been a lot of time and effort and consultation and discussion put into this, and this debate was a big test. I’m very pleased parliamentarians on all sides of politics were able to see the need [for the law] and the safeguards and thorough nature of the bill.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... MP=soc_567
I dream, therefore I am.