Euthanasia

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Euthanasia

Post by Perrorist » 21 Oct 2017, 17:55

Paul Keating is a Catholic, so I'm not surprised by his remarks.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 21 Oct 2017, 19:04

Its been a fairly civil debate. I am disappointed in what Keating said but still admire him.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 21 Oct 2017, 20:32

We live in a democracy and our politicians need to take a long, hard look at themselves. They are elected to serve at the pleasure of their constituents and their job is to govern FOR THE PEOPLE and not simply to impose their skewed and biased religious views on the rest of us.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Oct 2017, 08:37

Spot on. I am so over the constant waffle about religious freedom.
The separation of church and state seems to be ignored.
Well said kfhugo.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 22 Oct 2017, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 22 Oct 2017, 08:47

It sounds like good legislation but I am sure that because it has strict conditions there will be cases come up that demand the boundaries to be widened. It won't please everyone but will prevent old, frail people being coerced into terminating their lives because they have become a family burden.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 Oct 2017, 10:10

I wonder what legal euthanasia is like? I'm dying to find out.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 22 Oct 2017, 11:18

so whats better: quick death run over by a bus or die slowly for 6 months?
Facebook friend died slowly from lung cancer he said people wanted nuffin to do with him
once it became known. dead man walking 'n all, scares people off. :eek :eek

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 22 Oct 2017, 13:05

There is always Cleopatra's choice for a quick exit.
What species do you recommend?
Perhaps a death adder?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 Oct 2017, 14:15

Death Is Nothing At All by Henry Scott-Holland

This poem is often read at funerals. The author, Henry Scott-Holland (1847 - 1918), a priest at St. Paul's Cathedral of London, did not intend it as a poem, it was actually delivered as part of a sermon in 1910. The sermon, titled, "Death the King of Terrors" was preached while the body of King Edward VII was lying in state at Westminster.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Nov 2017, 02:04

I answered a telephone survey today on this subject relating to NSW plans to legislate along similar lines to Victoria.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 02 Nov 2017, 11:06

Its an old line but so true. Why are we kinder to animals who we put out of their misery.?

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Nov 2017, 11:52

Similar legislation has been working well in other countries now for decades with no evidence that safeguard measures are being circumvented or people are being terminated against their will. Surely any civilised society should give its people the right to end their own suffering. I consider it the height of arrogance for politicians to deny us that basic right. :text-thankyou:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 02 Nov 2017, 12:08

The key words in your post are "end their own suffering". There must be unrelievable suffering, a terminal diagnosis and you must be able to ask for the means and do the deed yourself. This should eliminate abuse but will leave a lot of ineligible people dissatisfied.

I heard today that the Victorian legislation is not sure to pass. One MP was arguing that instead, more money should be directed to palliative care. My response was why does one preclude the other ? Let's do both.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Nov 2017, 12:19

:good_one

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Nov 2017, 23:13

Chinese woman who killed her disabled son forgiven by court, praised on Weibo
By Emily Sakzewski

An elderly Chinese woman who was found guilty of killing her disabled son because she was afraid he would have a tough life after she died has received an unusually compassionate response from the courts and on social media.

The 83-year-old named Huang was found guilty in October of manslaughter over the death of her 46-year-old son Li Mouyi.

Huang, from Guangzhou, north-west of Hong Kong, said she killed her son because of her fear that no-one would care for him after she died.

A Chinese court heard that around about 2:00pm on May 9, 2017, Huang fed her son 60 sleeping pills, covered his face with a cotton pad, and used a scarf to strangle him to death.

She handed herself in to police the same day.

Huang was sentenced to three years' imprisonment with a suspended period of four years.

In their verdict, the court took pity on Huang's predicament.

The head judge in the case, Wan Yunfeng, said the elderly mother deserved mercy even though she broke the law.

"Her tragedy merits sympathy and her emotions behind her acts deserves forgiveness," a translation of the court's verdict said.
According to Chinese media, Huang applied for retirement when she was 47 and had been looking after her son in the years since.

Li Mouyi was entitled to a disability allowance and eligible for admission to a welfare house, however Huang refused the care because she was afraid they could not offer the best support.

"[My son] can't even speak when he gets thirsty, only I can tell," she told the court.

Prosecutors reportedly asked Huang why Li Mouyi's older brother could not have cared for him.

Huang said she was not prepared to burden him, telling the court: "It was my fault to give birth to him and make him suffer. I'd rather commit murder than leave him to someone else."

News of the case went viral on China's social media platform Weibo, as many expressed sympathy for Huang.

One of the most popular comments was on a post by the Guangdong bureau for Sina News, Xin Lang (Sina) Guangdong. The comment attracted 1,500 "likes" and commended Huang for her "mother's love".

"Can't imagine how much pain she went through when killing her son," Weibo user Mayboliang wrote.

"Can't imagine how much perseverance required for what she's done for the past 43 years.

"A woman is often seem as fragile and weak, but as a mother she is so strong. Salute to mother's love."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-03/c ... bo/9117836
I dream, therefore I am.