Republic

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Republic

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Nov 2017, 10:16

The Republican debate is frequently put on the back burner. Its in the too hard basket. You know the score....we have more pressing issues like jobs, inflation, etc. Thats what they always say. Its as though the politicians feel we can onlycope with one issue at a time.
I am all for a republic . Indeed I always liked the original Turnbull model. A head of state voted in by two thirds of the elected parliament. It was an excellent model.
However during the shambles of a peoples referendum we got bogged down. Just as Howard wanted.
It seemed they wanted a peoples vote. It would mean a huge campaign only a millionare could afford.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Republic

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Nov 2017, 10:20

Now here is a funny thought.
Our Governors General mostly voted in by thePM have generally been pretty impressive.
Maybe thats the way to go.
The only time it was a disaster was Kerr. Our worse ever Governor General was chosen by our best ever Prime Minister Gough Whitlam.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Nov 2017, 13:31

It was another case of Turnbull being outwitted. He gave Howard two Yes options and one No option. Howard must have thought Christmas and his birthday had all come at once.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Nov 2017, 16:46

It has been suggested that before we decide what sort of republic we want, we should decide on whether we want one at all, then think about what sort. That seems to me a dangerous way to go. I would be all in favour of one like many in the world, for example Ireland, but if one like USA was the outcome I would far rather have our past fake monarchy or even the preceding real monarchy. Otherwise stick with our present system, what ever it is called. I am saying yes to a republic, but the minimalist change sort! :character-oldtimer:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Nov 2017, 18:44

I favour the Irish model. I wish the US would consider that as well.