Police brutality

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Police brutality

Post by Warrigal » 06 Apr 2018, 18:08

kfchugo wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:30
Well said, Buck......unless, of course, one day YOU are the "maggot". It is always easy to condone this kind of conduct when it is happening to someone else - especially a stranger. One need not have committed any offence to receive this kind of treatment from rogue police - many of them consider themselves above the law they are sworn to uphold.
When law officers disregard the law none of us are safe.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Apr 2018, 18:14

Buck, the police's response should have been proportionate, not a licence to inflict pain for the hell of it. That's perverse.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Apr 2018, 18:59

So it seems Buck you believe let the cops get away with it. The cops can do no wrong. Of course these maggots you speak of change according to the country you are dealing with. For the American cops it was for years the African American or Negro. It was not too long ago that the African American was victimised by these men you seem to praise,. Of course the cops (Geatapo) in Nazi Germanysaw the aJews and other minoririties as maggots.
Australian cops may indeed be mostly noble decent men. I dont believe they use the word maggotbut I do believe some do. Remember Dr Duncan? A clear hate crime covered up? Do the victims who die in police custody deserve to die?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Apr 2018, 21:14

Buck_naked wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:07
It is their training to be assertive and take full control of dangerous situations.
Yes, the induced mind set is the problem. Like an ex boxer I once knew. He said that was the important thing. You were told that in the ring you were to think only of killing your opponent, that the referee would stop the fight if things went too far.
I know all police have not developed such a mind set, but that those who have are picked for such squads where danger might be faced.

I am in no way defending the practice nor the individuals. It is appalling and vindictive treatment of the defenseless, and let's hope that the appearance of the video will bring changes to both the system and the individual attitudes. Blaming the victim is never a solution, and first responders need to come from other institutions, or the police train them differently. My thoughts anyway.

I am reminded of the gold rush days, when miners faced both police and army. The army were controlled, the police uncontrolled.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Apr 2018, 21:19

Dreamweaver wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 11:36
I know no details, but a previous in-law who was in the police force would sometimes come home and break down in tears. Why, I do not know, but perhaps there is a lot more goes on than any of us know. I have other rellies in the force who find nothing untoward goes on in their areas of police work.
This same bloke ignored traffic laws, because he was a cop and could get away with it! But let's not tar them all the same brush.
I dream, therefore I am.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Apr 2018, 22:51

Well i see it quite simply:
If you engage in a violent confrontation with police you deserve everything you get.
It's not as if police roam around attacking innocent civilians walking the dog or picking wildflowers.
They are called into violent situations and have to get on top of the situation by whatever means necessary.
Does anyone seriously think the thin blue line keeping us safe is maintained by hugs, kisses and counselling? :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Apr 2018, 08:58

There's a huge difference between "getting on top of the situation" and gratuitously inflicting pain. That's why courts refer to "proportionate force" in cases like this. It applies to homeowners defending their homes from intruders. Do sufficient to protect you and your family, but don't go overboard punishing the offender.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Apr 2018, 20:27

Buck_naked wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 22:51
Does anyone seriously think the thin blue line keeping us safe is maintained by hugs, kisses and counselling? :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
More often than has been apparent on the surface, and admittedly with a slow effective reaction time! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 09 Apr 2018, 10:30

The brutality does not gain respect from the public. Only fear. Like many here I have respectfor decent cops.
Police have indeed been known to comfort victims with beautiful compassion.

Leonie

Post by Leonie » 09 Apr 2018, 11:21

I've met a few police who were absolutely wonderful people, and I've met a few who weren't. I think part of the problem is that the bullies among us are often drawn to this kind of job, and they tend to get away with it until they cross a line that can't be ignored.

These days that line is more transparent with cameras everywhere. In the past, they often got away with it until one of their own blew the whistle on them.