Malaysia

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Malaysia

Post by mavisbramston » 10 May 2018, 20:13

To the peple of Malaysia . At last. Lets hope the corrupt G is over. Hoping Australia has a better relationship.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Malaysia

Post by kfchugo » 11 May 2018, 04:57

I dont profess to know much about Malaysian politics, but I do recall that Mahatir was the Prime Minister there that Paul Keating labelled as "recalcitrant". He is just the "ghost of Christmas past" as far as I am concerned. I cant believe he is still seeking power at age 92...... maybe they have a similar pension plan to Aussie politics?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 May 2018, 06:55

He reckons he's going to scrap GST. World first, if he does.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 11 May 2018, 09:02

For so many years the people of Malaysia have been ruled by corrupt Governments. There is no garantee the change will be all that much better. But there is hope. The biggest hope is that if you do not follow Islam you can still be considered Malay. I have may Buddhist Malay friends and its a stigma not be Muslim. I like Malaysia but the over emphasis on religion is awful. You can struggle to find a toilet but where ever you go theres a ******y prayer room!
By the way...Try getting a taxi driver to put his meter on! (off topic)
I just Hope things improve.
Paul Keating was actually quite accurate. One of the few not afraid to step on toes that deserved to be stepped on.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 May 2018, 09:27

I had a business meeting in KL with an IT manager and halfway through he stood up, grasped a prayer mat, and disappeared into another room. I was left wondering if he would ever return. He did. Nice people, though.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 May 2018, 19:06

An Indian friend living there is jubilant. I hope all goes well. 8-[
Dr Mahathir was also known for his heavy-handed approach, which saw opponents imprisoned and courts subjugated.

Most famously, he fell out with his deputy prime minister, Anwar Ibrahim, during the Asian financial crisis in 1997 and sacked him in 1998.

When Mr Anwar then led mass political reform protests he was arrested under Malaysia's controversial Internal Security Act and jailed for sodomy and corruption — charges he's always denied and said were politically motivated.

In late 2016, the pair buried the hatchet, reunited in a court room, and started a push to oust Prime Minister Nijab Razak
He has promised Ibrahim a royal pardon.
I dream, therefore I am.