Revise gun laws

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Revise gun laws

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Jul 2018, 09:43

One thing is clear.
When a man can shoot and kill his own family and it seems more than once it is time to make our gun laws tougher.
Some say they are tough enough already. They have improves but its time to revise the laws.
Wrong.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Revise gun laws

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Jul 2018, 09:44

Some say its not guns that kill people ....what garbage.
Its people WITH guns.
Guns kill people.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 13 Jul 2018, 10:30

Gun laws are a difficult and complex social issue - just ask any American. I believe that Australia now has among the toughest gun laws in the world and our gun related deaths are accordingly low. We will never achieve perfection in this area and some social problems simply cannot be legislated out of existence. People with murderous intent will always find a way to achieve their goal - if they cant get a gun, they will use a knife, poison, rope, the family car etc., etc.
I would much rather see more focus on laws dealing with self defence - for example, it is illegal in this country to buy mace or pepper spray, nor can we own a bullet-proof vest - I consider that to be ludicrous. Surely these products should be available to those that need them.....nurses or other women going home late at night after work for example. Laws limiting their use for strictly defensive purposes would be sensible - we have laws limiting the use of guns for public safety.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 14 Jul 2018, 08:18

Banning guns has been doing the rounds forever.
Let's not forget that there are so many other ways to main and kill.
Clubs, knives, machetes, axes, poisons, bashing, kicking, driving cars into crowds to name a few.
...a five dollar hammer bought from Bunnings will deliver a fatal whack to anyone's head.
If a person is deranged enough to want to kill..... then that person will find a way.
Yep !.... it's a sick world we live in.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Jul 2018, 08:48

Guns are used more often to kill. Of course there are other weapons knives axes etc. Hell you could conceivably kill someone with a pickle jar. The point is the gun is designed to kill and does it better than anything.
People have a chance if they are strong lucky against the other weapons. A gun you have no chance. Its impossible , to kill someone from a tall building with a knife.
The gun lobby are always clutching at straws. Pretty environmentally unfriendly ones at that.
Guns even kill protected wild life.
In America rare native animals are killed by trigger happy scum bags.
The right o bare arms? The right to kill bears you mean!
Stop the nonsense.
Guns kill.
If a guy enters a school with a knife more kids would survive than if it were a semi automatic.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Jul 2018, 09:01

In a civilised society, access to weapons should be restricted to absolute need.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Jul 2018, 10:15

I dont own a gun, nor do I wish to..... but I support the rights of those who do( with appropriate and sensible safeguards). As has been noted, many other implements common in our society have the capacity to kill, yet we do not ban them. I believe that our current laws, while not perfect, do offer sufficient safeguards. Sure, guns kill but so do cars.....if we have a spate of "hit and runs" are we going to ban cars? We limit the ownership and use of those things specifically designed to kill....bows and arrows, spearguns, catapults, explosives, poisons etc., etc.....surely that is enough. How much of our civil liberties must we surrender in the name of "safety"?
My REAL concern is that whatever is banned is only kept from the hands of law abiding citizens.....criminals will always get their hands on whatever they want. To some extent, disarming the average citizen only makes it easier for the crims.....there is wisdom in the truism "dont take a knife to a gun fight". Be honest with yourselves.....how many of us (or our loved ones) have ever been shot or even threatened with a gun? Is it just the thought or possibility that scares us?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Jul 2018, 12:12

The trouble with guns is their capability to be used for fast multiple killings. I have no objection to single shot rifles, which aren't concealable. Purchasing multishot pistols I guess is ok with sufficient safeguards, but I could never agree to automatic military grade arms for the public. Sure, crims will always be able to get what they want, but they use these for specific crimes, not for massacres. And I doubt if they leave them where their children have access to them!

I agree with Hugo about mace, pepper spray, and bullet-proof vests!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Jul 2018, 13:06

To say that other devices can be used to kill people misses the point. Guns are designed for one purpose only, and that is to kill.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Jul 2018, 14:47

Not so Perrorist.....guns, like nuclear weapons have a solid deterrent capability......used judiciously, they can wound or just scare off an attacker. They are used in sport, on farms to dispatch suffering animals and by security or police officers who display them openly for their deterrent effect. Guns have many uses apart from actually killing people.
Personally, I dont feel the need to have a gun in my home to protect myself - I have a professionally made samurai sword.....and I know how to use it. If nations around the world can hold stockpiles of nuclear weapons to deter an attack, on a much less grand scale, I dont see why the average citizen should not have some self defence capability in the home. Should that be a gun for some.....so be it.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 14 Jul 2018, 15:44

mavisbramston wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 08:48
Guns are used more often to kill. Of course there are other weapons knives axes etc. Hell you could conceivably kill someone with a pickle jar. The point is the gun is designed to kill and does it better than anything.
People have a chance if they are strong lucky against the other weapons. A gun you have no chance. Its impossible , to kill someone from a tall building with a knife.
The gun lobby are always clutching at straws. Pretty environmentally unfriendly ones at that.
Guns even kill protected wild life.
In America rare native animals are killed by trigger happy scum bags.
The right o bare arms? The right to kill bears you mean!
Stop the nonsense.
Guns kill.
If a guy enters a school with a knife more kids would survive than if it were a semi automatic.
QFT

Pressure is mounting in Australia to relax gun laws.
It should not happen.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Jul 2018, 17:43

kfchugo wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 14:47
Not so Perrorist.....guns, like nuclear weapons have a solid deterrent capability......
I haven't seen any statistics about that. I feel it's pretty doubtful. At least hand guns in the USA seem to prove the opposite.
And nuclear weapons? Since they were first used, now they're in big demand. Perhaps without that first use, splitting the atom would have remained in the realms of nuclear medicine, searches for domestic power, etc.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Sep 2018, 09:19

I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Sep 2018, 11:17

But governments and the right-wing press keep pushing the Islamic terrorist line to keep the population in fear and to use that fear to continually encroach on our personal privacy.