Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Post by Warrigal » 22 Jul 2018, 17:49

I am mostly a New Testament person and of particular significance are the gospel accounts of Jesus' teaching. My fundamental story is the story that follows the question asked of Jesus, namely "Who is my neighbour?" What follows is the parable of the good Samaritan that I have taken as a personal teaching that I use as a yardstick for my behaviour and personal growth. It is a simple story that even little children can understand but I have found that it takes a lifetime of growth to fully understand the full significance of the illustration. It is harder to put into practice than it is to tell the story.

The OT has to be read in historical and social context and with some understanding of the different genres of writing prevalent at the time. The bulk of it does not speak directly to me although every so often a verse will jump off the page. I can make a rough stab at quoting a few favourites.

I feel that I am getting closer to having God's law written in my heart. I certainly know when I have broken it.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Post by Warrigal » 30 Jul 2018, 07:58

I heard a bit about the recent UCA Assembly and the difficulties surrounding the SSM decision. UCA has within it a number of ethnic groups - Pacific Islanders, South Koreans and Indigenous who each have their own independent presbyteries. The Indigenous Group made a statement early saying that they had no united position on SSM but the others were adamant that they were opposed. Things got a bit tense before an acceptable compromise was arrived at.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.