That speech

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: That speech

Post by Warrigal » 10 Sep 2018, 17:13

kfchugo wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 14:55
In general, Warrigal, I agree with you 100%. However, as the old saying goes - "there is an exception to every rule". In the case of Islam, while it is generally a fairly gentle religion, its adherents believe it is (a) okay to kill non believers, (b) the whole world should be brought into the faith and (c) a Muslim that converts to another religion should be killed. While the Koran teaches tolerance of other religions, its adherents are generally intolerant and disrespectful of other faiths. There are no doubt numerous other negative aspects to the Islamic faith and while I firmly believe in freedom of religion, I think that in some respects, Islam can be considered more of a cult.
Mind you, most other religions also have negative aspects to their doctrines and seek to control the lifestyle and/or behavior of its believers, so I suppose it comes down to a matter of personal opinion.
Most of these criticisms could be levelled at Christianity. I do have serious objections to some of the dogma of most religions but I realise that such dogma is either ignored completely by the faithful or can be looked at in historical context and rationalised away. After all, how many Christian parents these days think it appropriate to kill their disobedient children? Yet such action is authorised in the OT. The young Muslim women that I have interacted with on Facebook are very much like my own daughter and grand daughters. I am confident that they and their children will not pose any existential threat to our Australian way of life.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Sep 2018, 20:26

Forums like this are not just places to voice an opinion. They should be a place you can learn and broaden your views.As an atheist I have learned much from Warrigal and no longer see religious people as complete villains.
I must say this is a much nicer forum than others.
I thank the ladies for letting me know about this bully free place.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 11 Sep 2018, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 10 Sep 2018, 22:11

Thank you for those kind words, Mavis.
Education is growth and growth is something that can continue as long as we are still breathing.
When we listen to, and consider the positions of others, we are able to grow.
We don't have to give up our firmest convictions to enter a discussion.
All that is required is respect for the other person.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 10 Sep 2018, 23:06

Well said Warrigal..... we all have our opinions and convictions based on our upbringing and life experience. It would be a dull world indeed if we all thought alike. On this forum, polite people air their opinions without pontificating or trying to sway the beliefs of others. That is a fairly rare thing on the internet these days.

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 11 Sep 2018, 15:08

It would be nice if some of our politicians showed such respect for others, instead of constant sniping.

:eek