ALDI.....some interesting facts

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

ALDI.....some interesting facts

Post by godfather » 13 Mar 2019, 19:01

We all love or hate the ALDI chains, but we don't know enough about the relatively secret company.
This is a short explanation how ALDI converted the British into accepting a foreign discounter.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... n-shopping

Enjoy and appreciate!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

lynny
Diamond Member

Re: ALDI.....some interesting facts

Post by lynny » 14 Mar 2019, 07:58

ALDI seem to have a problem crossing Bass Strait........... :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Mar 2019, 10:51

I was dismissive of Aldi when they opened up near us. All those unknown brands! Then I heard from one or two people that they'd bought something that turned out to be both cheap and good (wine, a self-inflating mattress, tinned cat food - our cat won't eat anything else now) and so we gave it a go. Now I get all my tea from there, as well as wine, pickled gerkhins, rolled oats and sultanas, some fruit and vegies, and occasionally ice cream. Much cheaper than Woolies or Coles.

I also like the way they allow their checkout operators to sit down while working.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Mar 2019, 19:36

With 11,500 employees and growing, we’re proud of the motivated and passionate workforce we have created over the years. All staff, from stores to warehouses and our corporate offices, have an important role to play in the success of our business. This is why we are excited to be recognised as a Winner for Employer of Choice in the Australian Business Awards 2018.
https://www.aldiunpacked.com.au/Article ... -of-Choice

All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment. From the energy we consume to the emissions we generate, the water we use and the waste we dispose of: these all make a direct contribution to our environmental footprint.

We understand that we are responsible for the impact our business has on the environment. Because of this, we are constantly working on initiatives that will help us be more environmentally friendly. ALDI has never offered single-use shopping bags, and we have always used deposit systems for our trolleys, to reduce the number of trolleys abandoned in public areas. Other ways we reduce our footprint include:

Maximising energy efficiency in our operations
Increasing the use of renewable energy, including committing to 42 stores and two distribution centres with solar panels by the end of 2018.
Reducing our carbon footprint by 30% from a 2012 baseline by 2020
Using low-impact refrigerants
Conserving and optimising water use
Reducing, reusing and recycling waste
Trialling innovations at our store in Scoresby, Victoria. This store is rated 6 stars by the Green Building Council Australia, for environmentally-friendly design.
https://corporate.aldi.com.au/en/corpor ... vironment/
I dream, therefore I am.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 14 Mar 2019, 21:35

One of the first Aldi stores built in the country was in our town. It just seemed to pop up. Most people avoided it,for a long time,claiming that everything they sold was brought in from Germany.
One Wednesday morning a long queue formed outside,long before opening time. Apparently,there was an incredible special on sale,and the word had got around.
People eventually found that not all produce was imported. Fruit and vegetables,meat and dairy,is all local. Now,they even stock Vegemite. We started shopping there for a few items,mostly specials. Now we get most of our food and home supplies from Aldi,and only use Coles and Woolies for the items not stocked by Aldi.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Mar 2019, 23:27

Yes, because the brand names were unknown people thought they were imported. They may or may not be, but they are Aldi's own manufacture, making them cheaper than buying from big companies.

And I saw this recently - https://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2016/ ... store.html
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Mar 2019, 10:44

Aldi are copping a LOT of flack and criticism for failing to follow Coles and Woolies in increasing the price of milk to support farmers..... not a smart move in my opinion.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 15 Mar 2019, 11:13

Are the Cornflakes on which the milk is poured still grown in Germany? :icon_biggrin:

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Mar 2019, 14:38

I believe that Aldi has forged alliances with a number of Australian manufacturers (as have other grocery retailers). Retailers offering generic brands get them from the likes of Kellogs, Cottees etc but have their own generic brands on the labelling. Your corn flakes were probably manufactured locally, although I can't be sure.